Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Kitesurfing learning process

    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 4 2:14 PM
      cglazier@... wrote:
      > I was headed to Cabarete for 2 weeks, but maybe I should come to
      > Ottawa instead to try your minus 20 degree kiteskiing.. :-)

      Maybe you should ;-)

      Seriously, one of my kitesurfing "pioneer" friends, Jan Pina (who took
      most of the photos for the Kitesurfing School web site) in Santo Domingo
      (4 hour drive from Cabarete) is planning to come to Ottawa in the winter
      (hopefully the next winter) for snowboarding/skiing (we have the "best"
      Eastern North American ski resort within 2 hours drive - Mont. Tremblant
      - and numerous smaller resorts within 15 minutes from Ottawa which open
      everyday until 10:30 PM - so you can snowboard/ski after work :-).

      Now with kiteskiing (1 block from my house), he will get double bonus
      ::--))

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 5 7:47 AM
        > Troy Bezanson wrote:
        >
        > There's no one around, but I'm determined enough that I'm going to try
        > it.
        > I weigh just under 200lbs, and our wind around here is usually
        > 15-20km/h gusting to 30-40 km/h
        > I think the bigger the kite the better. I'd prefer to learn in
        > lighter winds as it would be less likely to get into an
        > overpowered situation.
        > Any suggestions on kite size would be helpful.

        There was some posts recently about kite size and rider weight, please
        go to the archive at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ksurfschool/message/1136 (and read all the
        follow-up posts)

        Just remember that kite size is "approximately" proportional to rider
        weight (such that you can figure out the right kite size for you in the
        same wind as another rider)

        > One of the nice things about living in Nova Scotia is that I live on a
        > penninsula, and if the wind isn't good on the atlantic side, I can go
        > to the other side where the wind is often quite different. I hadn't
        > thought about areas that are covered by only 2-3 feet of water.
        > I know of 2 other spots that you can wade out into the water quite a
        > ways where it is only up to your hips and where there are sand bars.
        > This would be ideal for leaning. I guess there is no reason why you'd
        > have to be in deep water to kite surf.

        Shallow water is actually easier to learn on (as you can walk upwind
        without having to go to shore and pack up). Just don't jump in shallow
        water and watch out for rocks or sandbars.

        P.S. I met Brian from Prince Edward Island a few years ago and he did
        try body surfing with my Wipika 5.0. He ran some kayaking excursion
        shop in PEI. He is probably a kitesurfer now. You may want to check
        him out.

        Hung.
      • mdelliott@waco.expresspersonnel.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 5 1:37 PM
          Friend in a boat was the most helpful for me learning. I could launch
          with a off shore or side off wind and I got lots of practice using up
          the length of the lake down wind. Make sure you get the kite down and
          secure before you get close to the downwind shore.Biggest trouble on
          our lake is that walking back any distance is through heavily wooded
          areas, ravines etc. I even copied somebodies idea when alone i would
          let my waverunner,with 15 ft line and anchor suspended in the water,
          drift down wind while i practiced trying to get upwind. The
          waverunner would drift to the down wind end of the lake and the
          anchor would catch before it washed onto shore. then i would ride the
          waverunner with my gear upwind and start over.

          Im still learning but agree with the advice on the reel bar. I didnt
          have one when I learned the basics but now really appreciate it . I
          can safely launch from smaller clearings than required on a regular
          bar and still be safe. MARK
        • hyperboutlife@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 5 5:54 PM
            Mark... which reel bar are you using?? Care to give a review of it?? I am in
            Ohio and face many of the conditions you speak of and think the reel bar
            would be great. Let me know
            Ben
          • mdelliott@waco.expresspersonnel.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 6 12:12 PM
              --- In ksurfschool@y..., hyperboutlife@a... wrote:
              > Mark... which reel bar are you using?? Care to give a review of
              it?? I am in
              > Ohio and face many of the conditions you speak of and think the
              reel bar
              > would be great. Let me know
              > Ben

              Using a flowbee. If you go to the kitesurf group and search on
              "flowbee" youll see several posts.

              In general I like it. I think it is the only reel bar designed to
              reel in while flying. Only bad thing is that on the 4line
              naish/wipika setup you only have about 6 inches of adjustment on the
              depowering .I think more is helpful on my 11.5 and 15.5 naish, doesnt
              seem to matter as much on smaller kites. Its great for launching on
              our lake. With side shore or a little side on I can wade 10 ft away
              from shore, launch the kite with 10 ft of line and use to pull myself
              into deep water away from shore and then allow kite to reel out to 40m
              for flying. Landing is identical in reverse. Whenever I am close to
              shore I only have 10 ft of line out and am able to avoid most
              kitesurf dangers experienced with lines fully extended. Ill assume
              you read kitesurf group posts on flowbee, let me know if you have any
              other questions. Might also search for "skyte" or "reelbar" or "Reel-
              bar" Flowbee is EXPENSIVE, I think around $1000. I ordered mine
              before they were even released and got a cheaper price, supposedly
              wholesale for the first 50 that ordered It is probably worth that as
              far as cost to manufacture, seems to be pretty precision made as far
              as gearing etc,carbon fiber shaft and aluminum constuction. Its just
              a question if its worth a grand for its added convienience, for me it
              is. MARK
            • Mel
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 6 4:54 PM
                KiteBoarding Magazine says they'll drop to about $800 soon. Still
                expensive, but better than $1000!

                From: <mdelliott@...>

                > ... Flowbee is EXPENSIVE, I think around $1000....
              • Troy Bezanson
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 4 2:33 PM
[...]

                  I will difinitely take your advice on making the hour drive.

                  Thanks for your input,
                  Troy