Re: Kitesurfing learning process

  • cglazier@home.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 4, 2001
      > This is a very interesting; however, after I have helped a number of
      > people kiteskiing, I believe that kiteskiing is the best way to
      > introduce people into kite traction sport. It's easy, can be
      learned in
      > 1-2 days and also a very good excuse to get outside in minus 20 c
      > (roughly minus 20 f) temperature. After that, the progression to
      > kitesurfing the subsequent summer is almost automatic.
      >
      > Hung.

      I was headed to Cabarete for 2 weeks, but maybe I should come to
      Ottawa instead to try your minus 20 degree kiteskiing.. :-)

      Chris G
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 4, 2001
        cglazier@... wrote:
        > I was headed to Cabarete for 2 weeks, but maybe I should come to
        > Ottawa instead to try your minus 20 degree kiteskiing.. :-)

        Maybe you should ;-)

        Seriously, one of my kitesurfing "pioneer" friends, Jan Pina (who took
        most of the photos for the Kitesurfing School web site) in Santo Domingo
        (4 hour drive from Cabarete) is planning to come to Ottawa in the winter
        (hopefully the next winter) for snowboarding/skiing (we have the "best"
        Eastern North American ski resort within 2 hours drive - Mont. Tremblant
        - and numerous smaller resorts within 15 minutes from Ottawa which open
        everyday until 10:30 PM - so you can snowboard/ski after work :-).

        Now with kiteskiing (1 block from my house), he will get double bonus
        ::--))

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 5, 2001
          > Troy Bezanson wrote:
          >
          > There's no one around, but I'm determined enough that I'm going to try
          > it.
          > I weigh just under 200lbs, and our wind around here is usually
          > 15-20km/h gusting to 30-40 km/h
          > I think the bigger the kite the better. I'd prefer to learn in
          > lighter winds as it would be less likely to get into an
          > overpowered situation.
          > Any suggestions on kite size would be helpful.

          There was some posts recently about kite size and rider weight, please
          go to the archive at
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ksurfschool/message/1136 (and read all the
          follow-up posts)

          Just remember that kite size is "approximately" proportional to rider
          weight (such that you can figure out the right kite size for you in the
          same wind as another rider)

          > One of the nice things about living in Nova Scotia is that I live on a
          > penninsula, and if the wind isn't good on the atlantic side, I can go
          > to the other side where the wind is often quite different. I hadn't
          > thought about areas that are covered by only 2-3 feet of water.
          > I know of 2 other spots that you can wade out into the water quite a
          > ways where it is only up to your hips and where there are sand bars.
          > This would be ideal for leaning. I guess there is no reason why you'd
          > have to be in deep water to kite surf.

          Shallow water is actually easier to learn on (as you can walk upwind
          without having to go to shore and pack up). Just don't jump in shallow
          water and watch out for rocks or sandbars.

          P.S. I met Brian from Prince Edward Island a few years ago and he did
          try body surfing with my Wipika 5.0. He ran some kayaking excursion
          shop in PEI. He is probably a kitesurfer now. You may want to check
          him out.

          Hung.
        • mdelliott@waco.expresspersonnel.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 5, 2001
            Friend in a boat was the most helpful for me learning. I could launch
            with a off shore or side off wind and I got lots of practice using up
            the length of the lake down wind. Make sure you get the kite down and
            secure before you get close to the downwind shore.Biggest trouble on
            our lake is that walking back any distance is through heavily wooded
            areas, ravines etc. I even copied somebodies idea when alone i would
            let my waverunner,with 15 ft line and anchor suspended in the water,
            drift down wind while i practiced trying to get upwind. The
            waverunner would drift to the down wind end of the lake and the
            anchor would catch before it washed onto shore. then i would ride the
            waverunner with my gear upwind and start over.

            Im still learning but agree with the advice on the reel bar. I didnt
            have one when I learned the basics but now really appreciate it . I
            can safely launch from smaller clearings than required on a regular
            bar and still be safe. MARK
          • hyperboutlife@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 5, 2001
              Mark... which reel bar are you using?? Care to give a review of it?? I am in
              Ohio and face many of the conditions you speak of and think the reel bar
              would be great. Let me know
              Ben
            • mdelliott@waco.expresspersonnel.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 6, 2001
                --- In ksurfschool@y..., hyperboutlife@a... wrote:
                > Mark... which reel bar are you using?? Care to give a review of
                it?? I am in
                > Ohio and face many of the conditions you speak of and think the
                reel bar
                > would be great. Let me know
                > Ben

                Using a flowbee. If you go to the kitesurf group and search on
                "flowbee" youll see several posts.

                In general I like it. I think it is the only reel bar designed to
                reel in while flying. Only bad thing is that on the 4line
                naish/wipika setup you only have about 6 inches of adjustment on the
                depowering .I think more is helpful on my 11.5 and 15.5 naish, doesnt
                seem to matter as much on smaller kites. Its great for launching on
                our lake. With side shore or a little side on I can wade 10 ft away
                from shore, launch the kite with 10 ft of line and use to pull myself
                into deep water away from shore and then allow kite to reel out to 40m
                for flying. Landing is identical in reverse. Whenever I am close to
                shore I only have 10 ft of line out and am able to avoid most
                kitesurf dangers experienced with lines fully extended. Ill assume
                you read kitesurf group posts on flowbee, let me know if you have any
                other questions. Might also search for "skyte" or "reelbar" or "Reel-
                bar" Flowbee is EXPENSIVE, I think around $1000. I ordered mine
                before they were even released and got a cheaper price, supposedly
                wholesale for the first 50 that ordered It is probably worth that as
                far as cost to manufacture, seems to be pretty precision made as far
                as gearing etc,carbon fiber shaft and aluminum constuction. Its just
                a question if its worth a grand for its added convienience, for me it
                is. MARK
              • Mel
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 6, 2001
                  KiteBoarding Magazine says they'll drop to about $800 soon. Still
                  expensive, but better than $1000!

                  From: <mdelliott@...>

                  > ... Flowbee is EXPENSIVE, I think around $1000....
                • Troy Bezanson
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 4, 2007
[...]

                    I will difinitely take your advice on making the hour drive.

                    Thanks for your input,
                    Troy