Re: [ksurfschool] Kitesurfing learning process

    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 2, 2001
      This is a very interesting; however, after I have helped a number of
      people kiteskiing, I believe that kiteskiing is the best way to
      introduce people into kite traction sport. It's easy, can be learned in
      1-2 days and also a very good excuse to get outside in minus 20 c
      (roughly minus 20 f) temperature. After that, the progression to
      kitesurfing the subsequent summer is almost automatic.

      Hung.

      cglazier@... wrote:

> [...]
      > power. Next you will learn to balance over the board as you come out
      > of the water and accelerate. We will practice water starting in both
      > directions until you are proficient
      >
      > Basic Kite Surfing
      > We will start with a review of how to waterstart and center your
      > weight over the board. Next we cover getting on a plane, accelerating
      > and slowing your board as well as turning and how to keep it down on
      > the water (instead of in the sky). We will practice the basic stance
      > on land and revue board handling and turning. Once on the water I
      > will stay with you and coach you onto the board and back to land down
      > wind
      >
      > Jibing Your Kiteboard
      > Going back the other way without getting in the water is critical to
      > staying up wind and greatly increases the time you spend on the water
      > before becoming exhausted. I teach two different techniques that will
      > allow you to deal with different conditions, The early foot change
      > works best in high-speed situations and the late foot switch works in
      > lighter power situations. We will work on land to get the footwork
      > down then move to the water. We will start with a larger board and
      > move to a smaller one as soon as you get the hang of it.
      >
      > Kiteboarding Upwind
      > Moving upwind with a kite requires that you be powered up
      > consistently and that you maintain control. You need to be able to
      > get up to full speed quickly and keep the kite in the sweet spot. By
      > carefully controlling the relation ship between you and your kite you
      > can create a situation where the kite pulls you across the wind
      > instead of down wind. Your board needs to be on its up-wind edge and
      > you need to be holding the bar slightly behind the center of the
      > space between your footstraps. This will encourage the board to move
      > up-wind across the force generated by the lines. The trick is to move
      > the kite into position fast and keep it there since you will be
      > dragged down wind the rest of the time. Learning to control your
      > speed by fine tuning the angle between you and your kite allows you
      > to translate your excess speed into upwind movement. We will cover
      > the theory on land then work on it on the water. The strong up-wind
      > river current makes the gorge a great place to work on this skill.
      >
      > Jumping and Big Air
      > Jumping is the thing that makes this sport so special, the sensation
      > of being lifted out of the water and into the sky is unlike any other
      > sport. Learning to jump in control is the key to enjoying this sport
      > safely. After a discussion of flight safety and the theory of kite
      > path, ramp timing, flight position, and landings we will work with a
      > small kite on land to get the image of the kite path in your mind and
      > the motions in your arms. Then we will move onto the river where the
      > landings are a little softer. The lesson will first focus on small
      > controlled jumps and perfecting timing, flight position, and landings

    • David Stanek
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 2, 2001
        kiteskiing is great ... as long as you live outside west coast... no show
        bellow 3000'ASL..
        David

        cglazier@... wrote:

> [...]
        > to translate your excess speed into upwind movement. We will cover
        > the theory on land then work on it on the water. The strong up-wind
        > river current makes the gorge a great place to work on this skill.
        >
        > Jumping and Big Air
        > Jumping is the thing that makes this sport so special, the sensation
        > of being lifted out of the water and into the sky is unlike any other
        > sport. Learning to jump in control is the key to enjoying this sport
        > safely. After a discussion of flight safety and the theory of kite
        > path, ramp timing, flight position, and landings we will work with a
        > small kite on land to get the image of the kite path in your mind and
        > the motions in your arms. Then we will move onto the river where the
        > landings are a little softer. The lesson will first focus on small
        > controlled jumps and perfecting timing, flight position, and landings

      • Dave Raue
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 3, 2001
          Hi Troy,

          If you've been buggying and kiteskiing you're got the basics covered.
          What's MOST different about kitesurfing is how much more power you need. I
          came from buggying and it took me a long time to accept that the minimum
          power for kitesurfing is about 2X what you'd want for buggying. Hence need
          for space cause potential for getting out of control is far greater.

          -D

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 3, 2001

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 3, 2001
              > Troy Bezanson wrote:
              > Anyone have any experience kitesurfing in a more restricted launching
              > area? Any suggestions? (besides staying away from powerlines)

              If you don't have any beach, your best bet is to get an inflatable and
              launch it in shallow water. Do the same thing when you come in, land
              the kite in shallow water.

              If you don't have any beach nor shallow water then you need to find
              another spot.

              Hung.
            • Mark Frasier
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 3, 2001
                Yeah, the power difference is unreal. A good rule of thumb is that if you
                could use a certain kite to buggy in a given wind it's too small for
                kitesurfing. You should use a kite that's impossibly huge for buggying. To
                learn to waterstart and cruise downwind you could use a kite that is just
                barely too big to buggy with, but you won't get upwind with it (at least til
                you get manry sessions of experience).

                I started with buggying, too, and it's a huge help but also a hindrance in
                some ways. Buggiers, I think, tend to turn the board too suddenly and
                sharply, and we try to go upwind too steeply, which results in not being
                able to stay upwind at all.

                There's also a well-developed "kite safety sense" that starts ringing bells
                just UNDER the amount of power you need to kitesurf! Your good sense tells
                you not to put up something bigger. Try to overcome this in small steps....
                i.e. I'm hoping you won't read this and then go out with a kite that's going
                to kill you!

                When I was learning, I was totally on my own - no one to tell me I was
                underpowered. I eventually overcame this problem by going out on a day when
                the wind started at 14 and picked up to about 19. That was the first day I
                was really able to ride a whole session without walking.

                The other time your saftey sense is a hindrance is when you're learning to
                jump. Buggiers know it's death to cut the kite back when you're powered up
                and moving along at 25 mph. It was hard for me to totally let go of that.

                Back to the question - definately drive the hour for the first few sessions.
                After you've launched and landed a fully powered kite and been on the water
                a few times you'll be able to judge for yourself if your other spot is a
                possibility.

                Do you ever come down to Maine? If so you'll have to try Pine Point (same
                beach as Old Orchard, just the northern part of it). It's a great spot about
                3 hours on either side of low tide. The wind is onshore but there's a
                sandbar that goes out about 1/2 mile where the Scarborough River comes out.
                At low tide you can walk all the way out without even getting wet, and near
                the beach or the sandbar the water is shallow enough to wade back if you
                can't relaunch your kite. Very smooth thermal winds late spring, summer &
                early fall.

                Mark Frasier

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 3, 2001
                  Mark Frasier wrote:
                  > There's also a well-developed "kite safety sense" that starts ringing bells
                  > just UNDER the amount of power you need to kitesurf! Your good sense tells
                  > you not to put up something bigger. Try to overcome this in small steps....
                  > i.e. I'm hoping you won't read this and then go out with a kite that's going
                  > to kill you!

                  Just make sure you USE A SAFETY leash! A safety leash give you more
                  confident to be "powered properly" while kitesurfing.

                  Hung.
                • Mark Frasier
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 3, 2001
                    > Back to the question - definately drive the hour for the first few
                    sessions.
                    > After you've launched and landed a fully powered kite and been on the
                    water
                    > a few times you'll be able to judge for yourself if your other spot is a
                    > possibility.
                    > Mark Frasier

                    Oh, I just realised you probably want to know before you buy gear so you can
                    decide if it's worth spending the $$$. Is there anyone around who kitesurfs
                    who could check out the spot with you?

                    My regular spot (Pine Point) is about 2 hrs from my house and I definately
                    consider it worth the drive. I usually get to the beach at least twice a
                    week, sometimes more. I even drive 1.5 hrs there after work, get an hour or
                    so of riding before dark, then drive the 2 hrs home*. It's much more fun
                    than buggying, IMO. So maybe it's worth it even if you have to drive 1 hr
                    each way every time??

                    *(I do have a spot that's about 1/2 hr from work on a large lake, but it's
                    gusty and the wind direction is only good there when it's bad at Pine Point)

                    Mark Frasier
                  • cglazier@home.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 4, 2001
                      > This is a very interesting; however, after I have helped a number of
                      > people kiteskiing, I believe that kiteskiing is the best way to
                      > introduce people into kite traction sport. It's easy, can be
                      learned in
                      > 1-2 days and also a very good excuse to get outside in minus 20 c
                      > (roughly minus 20 f) temperature. After that, the progression to
                      > kitesurfing the subsequent summer is almost automatic.
                      >
                      > Hung.

                      I was headed to Cabarete for 2 weeks, but maybe I should come to
                      Ottawa instead to try your minus 20 degree kiteskiing.. :-)

                      Chris G
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 4, 2001
                        cglazier@... wrote:
                        > I was headed to Cabarete for 2 weeks, but maybe I should come to
                        > Ottawa instead to try your minus 20 degree kiteskiing.. :-)

                        Maybe you should ;-)

                        Seriously, one of my kitesurfing "pioneer" friends, Jan Pina (who took
                        most of the photos for the Kitesurfing School web site) in Santo Domingo
                        (4 hour drive from Cabarete) is planning to come to Ottawa in the winter
                        (hopefully the next winter) for snowboarding/skiing (we have the "best"
                        Eastern North American ski resort within 2 hours drive - Mont. Tremblant
                        - and numerous smaller resorts within 15 minutes from Ottawa which open
                        everyday until 10:30 PM - so you can snowboard/ski after work :-).

                        Now with kiteskiing (1 block from my house), he will get double bonus
                        ::--))

                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 5, 2001
                          > Troy Bezanson wrote:
                          >
                          > There's no one around, but I'm determined enough that I'm going to try
                          > it.
                          > I weigh just under 200lbs, and our wind around here is usually
                          > 15-20km/h gusting to 30-40 km/h
                          > I think the bigger the kite the better. I'd prefer to learn in
                          > lighter winds as it would be less likely to get into an
                          > overpowered situation.
                          > Any suggestions on kite size would be helpful.

                          There was some posts recently about kite size and rider weight, please
                          go to the archive at
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ksurfschool/message/1136 (and read all the
                          follow-up posts)

                          Just remember that kite size is "approximately" proportional to rider
                          weight (such that you can figure out the right kite size for you in the
                          same wind as another rider)

                          > One of the nice things about living in Nova Scotia is that I live on a
                          > penninsula, and if the wind isn't good on the atlantic side, I can go
                          > to the other side where the wind is often quite different. I hadn't
                          > thought about areas that are covered by only 2-3 feet of water.
                          > I know of 2 other spots that you can wade out into the water quite a
                          > ways where it is only up to your hips and where there are sand bars.
                          > This would be ideal for leaning. I guess there is no reason why you'd
                          > have to be in deep water to kite surf.

                          Shallow water is actually easier to learn on (as you can walk upwind
                          without having to go to shore and pack up). Just don't jump in shallow
                          water and watch out for rocks or sandbars.

                          P.S. I met Brian from Prince Edward Island a few years ago and he did
                          try body surfing with my Wipika 5.0. He ran some kayaking excursion
                          shop in PEI. He is probably a kitesurfer now. You may want to check
                          him out.

                          Hung.
                        • mdelliott@waco.expresspersonnel.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 5, 2001
                            Friend in a boat was the most helpful for me learning. I could launch
                            with a off shore or side off wind and I got lots of practice using up
                            the length of the lake down wind. Make sure you get the kite down and
                            secure before you get close to the downwind shore.Biggest trouble on
                            our lake is that walking back any distance is through heavily wooded
                            areas, ravines etc. I even copied somebodies idea when alone i would
                            let my waverunner,with 15 ft line and anchor suspended in the water,
                            drift down wind while i practiced trying to get upwind. The
                            waverunner would drift to the down wind end of the lake and the
                            anchor would catch before it washed onto shore. then i would ride the
                            waverunner with my gear upwind and start over.

                            Im still learning but agree with the advice on the reel bar. I didnt
                            have one when I learned the basics but now really appreciate it . I
                            can safely launch from smaller clearings than required on a regular
                            bar and still be safe. MARK
                          • hyperboutlife@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 5, 2001
                              Mark... which reel bar are you using?? Care to give a review of it?? I am in
                              Ohio and face many of the conditions you speak of and think the reel bar
                              would be great. Let me know
                              Ben
                            • mdelliott@waco.expresspersonnel.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 6, 2001
                                --- In ksurfschool@y..., hyperboutlife@a... wrote:
                                > Mark... which reel bar are you using?? Care to give a review of
                                it?? I am in
                                > Ohio and face many of the conditions you speak of and think the
                                reel bar
                                > would be great. Let me know
                                > Ben

                                Using a flowbee. If you go to the kitesurf group and search on
                                "flowbee" youll see several posts.

                                In general I like it. I think it is the only reel bar designed to
                                reel in while flying. Only bad thing is that on the 4line
                                naish/wipika setup you only have about 6 inches of adjustment on the
                                depowering .I think more is helpful on my 11.5 and 15.5 naish, doesnt
                                seem to matter as much on smaller kites. Its great for launching on
                                our lake. With side shore or a little side on I can wade 10 ft away
                                from shore, launch the kite with 10 ft of line and use to pull myself
                                into deep water away from shore and then allow kite to reel out to 40m
                                for flying. Landing is identical in reverse. Whenever I am close to
                                shore I only have 10 ft of line out and am able to avoid most
                                kitesurf dangers experienced with lines fully extended. Ill assume
                                you read kitesurf group posts on flowbee, let me know if you have any
                                other questions. Might also search for "skyte" or "reelbar" or "Reel-
                                bar" Flowbee is EXPENSIVE, I think around $1000. I ordered mine
                                before they were even released and got a cheaper price, supposedly
                                wholesale for the first 50 that ordered It is probably worth that as
                                far as cost to manufacture, seems to be pretty precision made as far
                                as gearing etc,carbon fiber shaft and aluminum constuction. Its just
                                a question if its worth a grand for its added convienience, for me it
                                is. MARK
                              • Mel
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 6, 2001
                                  KiteBoarding Magazine says they'll drop to about $800 soon. Still
                                  expensive, but better than $1000!

                                  From: <mdelliott@...>

                                  > ... Flowbee is EXPENSIVE, I think around $1000....
                                • Troy Bezanson

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 4, 2007
                                      Maine sounds great, It's close enough to drive there for a long weekend vacation.  Thanks for all of your advice.
                                      It's nice to be able to come to a group like this and have any questions answered.  There is no one else around here who even fly kites but I'm working on getting a few people into the sport.

                                      Thanks again,
                                      Troy

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 4, 2007
[...]

                                        I will difinitely take your advice on making the hour drive.

                                        Thanks for your input,
                                        Troy