Re: [ksurfschool] Kitesurfing learning process

  • paul menta
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 2, 2001
      If you go to www.kitesurftheearth.com and go to learn,there is good detail
      on what you need and how to do it.

      kite-on Paul

      ----Original Message Follows----
      From: cglazier@...
      To: ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ksurfschool] Kitesurfing learning process
      Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 00:49:03 -0000
      From sentto-1363319-1103-983580549-pmenta Fri Mar 02 16:50:29 2001

      Here is a good description of the kitesurfing learning process. This
      was found at a kitesurfing school site in the Gorge.

      http://www.windguide.com/kiteinstr.htm

      Land Training
      To start off a first time flier we will go over the terms we use to
      describe the kite and it's relationship to the wind. We will cover
      all the safety rules and discuss potential dangers. I will fly a
      small kite to show you how the kite moves through and reacts to the
      wind. As you learn to fly the small kite in control we will start
      working on maneuvers and then on landing and launching the kite.
      After you master the small kite we will move up to a medium sized
      kite learning the feel of the power and a strong body position. You
      will need to be so comfortable with the kite and harness that you can
      fly it one handed while concentrating on other things. Your instincts
      must be trained to react without thinking to keep the kite in the
      correct location. Time spent here greatly reduces the chance of
      damage or injury as well as reducing the "terror factor" of the next
      few days.

      The Body Drag
      We will start with a discussion about the water and wind and how to
      have fun and stay away from trouble. I will help you learn to
      evaluate the wind conditions and recognize potential dangers. we will
      talk through the planned body drag discussing body position and
      anticipated down wind course as well as the landing procedure. We
      will launch a kite on land or in shallow water and practice
      controlling the kite. Once things are well under control you will
      move into deep water and body drag behind the kite. Body dragging
      allows you to experience the full power of the kite and see how it
      reacts to your movement.

      Waterstarting
      We will start with a discussion / demonstration of body position and
      various moves you can make with the kite which will allow you to keep
      it in the desired portion of the sky efficiently. Next we will cover
      the relation ship between the board, the kite and the water. This
      leads naturally to showing you how to get on the board. We will
      practice on land, both the beach start and the deep-water start.
      After a few hints on controlling your speed and limiting the your air
      time we will move to the water and start practicing the control and
      balance needed to hold the board in position as you increase the
      power. Next you will learn to balance over the board as you come out
      of the water and accelerate. We will practice water starting in both
      directions until you are proficient

      Basic Kite Surfing
      We will start with a review of how to waterstart and center your
      weight over the board. Next we cover getting on a plane, accelerating
      and slowing your board as well as turning and how to keep it down on
      the water (instead of in the sky). We will practice the basic stance
      on land and revue board handling and turning. Once on the water I
      will stay with you and coach you onto the board and back to land down
      wind

      Jibing Your Kiteboard
      Going back the other way without getting in the water is critical to
      staying up wind and greatly increases the time you spend on the water
      before becoming exhausted. I teach two different techniques that will
      allow you to deal with different conditions, The early foot change
      works best in high-speed situations and the late foot switch works in
      lighter power situations. We will work on land to get the footwork
      down then move to the water. We will start with a larger board and
      move to a smaller one as soon as you get the hang of it.

      Kiteboarding Upwind
      Moving upwind with a kite requires that you be powered up
      consistently and that you maintain control. You need to be able to
      get up to full speed quickly and keep the kite in the sweet spot. By
      carefully controlling the relation ship between you and your kite you
      can create a situation where the kite pulls you across the wind
      instead of down wind. Your board needs to be on its up-wind edge and
      you need to be holding the bar slightly behind the center of the
      space between your footstraps. This will encourage the board to move
      up-wind across the force generated by the lines. The trick is to move
      the kite into position fast and keep it there since you will be
      dragged down wind the rest of the time. Learning to control your
      speed by fine tuning the angle between you and your kite allows you
      to translate your excess speed into upwind movement. We will cover
      the theory on land then work on it on the water. The strong up-wind
      river current makes the gorge a great place to work on this skill.

      Jumping and Big Air
      Jumping is the thing that makes this sport so special, the sensation
      of being lifted out of the water and into the sky is unlike any other
      sport. Learning to jump in control is the key to enjoying this sport
      safely. After a discussion of flight safety and the theory of kite
      path, ramp timing, flight position, and landings we will work with a
      small kite on land to get the image of the kite path in your mind and
      the motions in your arms. Then we will move onto the river where the
      landings are a little softer. The lesson will first focus on small
      controlled jumps and perfecting timing, flight position, and landings
      before moving to maximizing the air.

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 2, 2001
        This is a very interesting; however, after I have helped a number of
        people kiteskiing, I believe that kiteskiing is the best way to
        introduce people into kite traction sport. It's easy, can be learned in
        1-2 days and also a very good excuse to get outside in minus 20 c
        (roughly minus 20 f) temperature. After that, the progression to
        kitesurfing the subsequent summer is almost automatic.

        Hung.

        cglazier@... wrote:

> [...]
        > to translate your excess speed into upwind movement. We will cover
        > the theory on land then work on it on the water. The strong up-wind
        > river current makes the gorge a great place to work on this skill.
        >
        > Jumping and Big Air
        > Jumping is the thing that makes this sport so special, the sensation
        > of being lifted out of the water and into the sky is unlike any other
        > sport. Learning to jump in control is the key to enjoying this sport
        > safely. After a discussion of flight safety and the theory of kite
        > path, ramp timing, flight position, and landings we will work with a
        > small kite on land to get the image of the kite path in your mind and
        > the motions in your arms. Then we will move onto the river where the
        > landings are a little softer. The lesson will first focus on small
        > controlled jumps and perfecting timing, flight position, and landings

      • David Stanek
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 2, 2001
          kiteskiing is great ... as long as you live outside west coast... no show
          bellow 3000'ASL..
          David

          cglazier@... wrote:

> [...]
          > to translate your excess speed into upwind movement. We will cover
          > the theory on land then work on it on the water. The strong up-wind
          > river current makes the gorge a great place to work on this skill.
          >
          > Jumping and Big Air
          > Jumping is the thing that makes this sport so special, the sensation
          > of being lifted out of the water and into the sky is unlike any other
          > sport. Learning to jump in control is the key to enjoying this sport
          > safely. After a discussion of flight safety and the theory of kite
          > path, ramp timing, flight position, and landings we will work with a
          > small kite on land to get the image of the kite path in your mind and
          > the motions in your arms. Then we will move onto the river where the
          > landings are a little softer. The lesson will first focus on small
          > controlled jumps and perfecting timing, flight position, and landings

        • Dave Raue
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 3, 2001
            Hi Troy,

            If you've been buggying and kiteskiing you're got the basics covered.
            What's MOST different about kitesurfing is how much more power you need. I
            came from buggying and it took me a long time to accept that the minimum
            power for kitesurfing is about 2X what you'd want for buggying. Hence need
            for space cause potential for getting out of control is far greater.

            -D

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 3, 2001
              Hi Troy

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 3, 2001
                > Troy Bezanson wrote:
                > Anyone have any experience kitesurfing in a more restricted launching
                > area? Any suggestions? (besides staying away from powerlines)

                If you don't have any beach, your best bet is to get an inflatable and
                launch it in shallow water. Do the same thing when you come in, land
                the kite in shallow water.

                If you don't have any beach nor shallow water then you need to find
                another spot.

                Hung.
              • Mark Frasier
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 3, 2001
                  Yeah, the power difference is unreal. A good rule of thumb is that if you
                  could use a certain kite to buggy in a given wind it's too small for
                  kitesurfing. You should use a kite that's impossibly huge for buggying. To
                  learn to waterstart and cruise downwind you could use a kite that is just
                  barely too big to buggy with, but you won't get upwind with it (at least til
                  you get manry sessions of experience).

                  I started with buggying, too, and it's a huge help but also a hindrance in
                  some ways. Buggiers, I think, tend to turn the board too suddenly and
                  sharply, and we try to go upwind too steeply, which results in not being
                  able to stay upwind at all.

                  There's also a well-developed "kite safety sense" that starts ringing bells
                  just UNDER the amount of power you need to kitesurf! Your good sense tells
                  you not to put up something bigger. Try to overcome this in small steps....
                  i.e. I'm hoping you won't read this and then go out with a kite that's going
                  to kill you!

                  When I was learning, I was totally on my own - no one to tell me I was
                  underpowered. I eventually overcame this problem by going out on a day when
                  the wind started at 14 and picked up to about 19. That was the first day I
                  was really able to ride a whole session without walking.

                  The other time your saftey sense is a hindrance is when you're learning to
                  jump. Buggiers know it's death to cut the kite back when you're powered up
                  and moving along at 25 mph. It was hard for me to totally let go of that.

                  Back to the question - definately drive the hour for the first few sessions.
                  After you've launched and landed a fully powered kite and been on the water
                  a few times you'll be able to judge for yourself if your other spot is a
                  possibility.

                  Do you ever come down to Maine? If so you'll have to try Pine Point (same
                  beach as Old Orchard, just the northern part of it). It's a great spot about
                  3 hours on either side of low tide. The wind is onshore but there's a
                  sandbar that goes out about 1/2 mile where the Scarborough River comes out.
                  At low tide you can walk all the way out without even getting wet, and near
                  the beach or the sandbar the water is shallow enough to wade back if you
                  can't relaunch your kite. Very smooth thermal winds late spring, summer &
                  early fall.

                  Mark Frasier

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 3, 2001
                    Mark Frasier wrote:
                    > There's also a well-developed "kite safety sense" that starts ringing bells
                    > just UNDER the amount of power you need to kitesurf! Your good sense tells
                    > you not to put up something bigger. Try to overcome this in small steps....
                    > i.e. I'm hoping you won't read this and then go out with a kite that's going
                    > to kill you!

                    Just make sure you USE A SAFETY leash! A safety leash give you more
                    confident to be "powered properly" while kitesurfing.

                    Hung.
                  • Mark Frasier
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 3, 2001
                      > Back to the question - definately drive the hour for the first few
                      sessions.
                      > After you've launched and landed a fully powered kite and been on the
                      water
                      > a few times you'll be able to judge for yourself if your other spot is a
                      > possibility.
                      > Mark Frasier

                      Oh, I just realised you probably want to know before you buy gear so you can
                      decide if it's worth spending the $$$. Is there anyone around who kitesurfs
                      who could check out the spot with you?

                      My regular spot (Pine Point) is about 2 hrs from my house and I definately
                      consider it worth the drive. I usually get to the beach at least twice a
                      week, sometimes more. I even drive 1.5 hrs there after work, get an hour or
                      so of riding before dark, then drive the 2 hrs home*. It's much more fun
                      than buggying, IMO. So maybe it's worth it even if you have to drive 1 hr
                      each way every time??

                      *(I do have a spot that's about 1/2 hr from work on a large lake, but it's
                      gusty and the wind direction is only good there when it's bad at Pine Point)

                      Mark Frasier
                    • cglazier@home.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 4, 2001
                        > This is a very interesting; however, after I have helped a number of
                        > people kiteskiing, I believe that kiteskiing is the best way to
                        > introduce people into kite traction sport. It's easy, can be
                        learned in
                        > 1-2 days and also a very good excuse to get outside in minus 20 c
                        > (roughly minus 20 f) temperature. After that, the progression to
                        > kitesurfing the subsequent summer is almost automatic.
                        >
                        > Hung.

                        I was headed to Cabarete for 2 weeks, but maybe I should come to
                        Ottawa instead to try your minus 20 degree kiteskiing.. :-)

                        Chris G
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 4, 2001
                          cglazier@... wrote:
                          > I was headed to Cabarete for 2 weeks, but maybe I should come to
                          > Ottawa instead to try your minus 20 degree kiteskiing.. :-)

                          Maybe you should ;-)

                          Seriously, one of my kitesurfing "pioneer" friends, Jan Pina (who took
                          most of the photos for the Kitesurfing School web site) in Santo Domingo
                          (4 hour drive from Cabarete) is planning to come to Ottawa in the winter
                          (hopefully the next winter) for snowboarding/skiing (we have the "best"
                          Eastern North American ski resort within 2 hours drive - Mont. Tremblant
                          - and numerous smaller resorts within 15 minutes from Ottawa which open
                          everyday until 10:30 PM - so you can snowboard/ski after work :-).

                          Now with kiteskiing (1 block from my house), he will get double bonus
                          ::--))

                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 5, 2001
                            > Troy Bezanson wrote:
                            >
                            > There's no one around, but I'm determined enough that I'm going to try
                            > it.
                            > I weigh just under 200lbs, and our wind around here is usually
                            > 15-20km/h gusting to 30-40 km/h
                            > I think the bigger the kite the better. I'd prefer to learn in
                            > lighter winds as it would be less likely to get into an
                            > overpowered situation.
                            > Any suggestions on kite size would be helpful.

                            There was some posts recently about kite size and rider weight, please
                            go to the archive at
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ksurfschool/message/1136 (and read all the
                            follow-up posts)

                            Just remember that kite size is "approximately" proportional to rider
                            weight (such that you can figure out the right kite size for you in the
                            same wind as another rider)

                            > One of the nice things about living in Nova Scotia is that I live on a
                            > penninsula, and if the wind isn't good on the atlantic side, I can go
                            > to the other side where the wind is often quite different. I hadn't
                            > thought about areas that are covered by only 2-3 feet of water.
                            > I know of 2 other spots that you can wade out into the water quite a
                            > ways where it is only up to your hips and where there are sand bars.
                            > This would be ideal for leaning. I guess there is no reason why you'd
                            > have to be in deep water to kite surf.

                            Shallow water is actually easier to learn on (as you can walk upwind
                            without having to go to shore and pack up). Just don't jump in shallow
                            water and watch out for rocks or sandbars.

                            P.S. I met Brian from Prince Edward Island a few years ago and he did
                            try body surfing with my Wipika 5.0. He ran some kayaking excursion
                            shop in PEI. He is probably a kitesurfer now. You may want to check
                            him out.

                            Hung.
                          • mdelliott@waco.expresspersonnel.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 5, 2001
                              Friend in a boat was the most helpful for me learning. I could launch
                              with a off shore or side off wind and I got lots of practice using up
                              the length of the lake down wind. Make sure you get the kite down and
                              secure before you get close to the downwind shore.Biggest trouble on
                              our lake is that walking back any distance is through heavily wooded
                              areas, ravines etc. I even copied somebodies idea when alone i would
                              let my waverunner,with 15 ft line and anchor suspended in the water,
                              drift down wind while i practiced trying to get upwind. The
                              waverunner would drift to the down wind end of the lake and the
                              anchor would catch before it washed onto shore. then i would ride the
                              waverunner with my gear upwind and start over.

                              Im still learning but agree with the advice on the reel bar. I didnt
                              have one when I learned the basics but now really appreciate it . I
                              can safely launch from smaller clearings than required on a regular
                              bar and still be safe. MARK
                            • hyperboutlife@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 5, 2001
                                Mark... which reel bar are you using?? Care to give a review of it?? I am in
                                Ohio and face many of the conditions you speak of and think the reel bar
                                would be great. Let me know
                                Ben
                              • mdelliott@waco.expresspersonnel.com
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 6, 2001
                                  --- In ksurfschool@y..., hyperboutlife@a... wrote:
                                  > Mark... which reel bar are you using?? Care to give a review of
                                  it?? I am in
                                  > Ohio and face many of the conditions you speak of and think the
                                  reel bar
                                  > would be great. Let me know
                                  > Ben

                                  Using a flowbee. If you go to the kitesurf group and search on
                                  "flowbee" youll see several posts.

                                  In general I like it. I think it is the only reel bar designed to
                                  reel in while flying. Only bad thing is that on the 4line
                                  naish/wipika setup you only have about 6 inches of adjustment on the
                                  depowering .I think more is helpful on my 11.5 and 15.5 naish, doesnt
                                  seem to matter as much on smaller kites. Its great for launching on
                                  our lake. With side shore or a little side on I can wade 10 ft away
                                  from shore, launch the kite with 10 ft of line and use to pull myself
                                  into deep water away from shore and then allow kite to reel out to 40m
                                  for flying. Landing is identical in reverse. Whenever I am close to
                                  shore I only have 10 ft of line out and am able to avoid most
                                  kitesurf dangers experienced with lines fully extended. Ill assume
                                  you read kitesurf group posts on flowbee, let me know if you have any
                                  other questions. Might also search for "skyte" or "reelbar" or "Reel-
                                  bar" Flowbee is EXPENSIVE, I think around $1000. I ordered mine
                                  before they were even released and got a cheaper price, supposedly
                                  wholesale for the first 50 that ordered It is probably worth that as
                                  far as cost to manufacture, seems to be pretty precision made as far
                                  as gearing etc,carbon fiber shaft and aluminum constuction. Its just
                                  a question if its worth a grand for its added convienience, for me it
                                  is. MARK
                                • Mel
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 6, 2001
                                    KiteBoarding Magazine says they'll drop to about $800 soon. Still
                                    expensive, but better than $1000!

                                    From: <mdelliott@...>

                                    > ... Flowbee is EXPENSIVE, I think around $1000....
                                  • Troy Bezanson

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 4, 2007
                                        Maine sounds great, It's close enough to drive there for a long weekend vacation.  Thanks for all of your advice.
                                        It's nice to be able to come to a group like this and have any questions answered.  There is no one else around here who even fly kites but I'm working on getting a few people into the sport.

                                        Thanks again,
                                        Troy

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 4, 2007
[...]

                                          I will difinitely take your advice on making the hour drive.

                                          Thanks for your input,
                                          Troy