How fast is the slowest kite?

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21, 2001
      I went out today in 20 - 30 knots with my Wipika Classic and got a max
      speed of 54.3 km/h on the Etrax GPS device (it is reasonably accurate -
      I tested it on a car while driving).

      I think the max speed for the Wipika Classic is probably quite a bit
      more - could be up to 60 - 70 km/h - as the almost-ice condition was
      quite rough (I was bouncing around quite a bit - the kite probably
      "feel" it too). Furthermore, I was on my wife beginner skis as oppose
      to my racing skis (the bouncing was too much for the longer skis)

      This is very interesting given the fact that the Wipika Classic is one
      of the the slowest kites ever made! (What this means is that ALL KITES
      should be able to deliver 50+ km/h speed)

      For the next winter, I am thinking of getting a similar size but faster
      kite which I can fly with very short lines around 10 - 15 m and just off
      the bridle (to achieve a wide range in very high wind). I am thinking
      of the C-Quad 2.2. Any other faster kites that would meet these
      requirements?

      Hung.
    • ace@planety.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 21, 2001
        I can attest to the worthiness of the c-quad 2.2. Mark Frasier came
        to Lake Champlain and recorded a peak speed of 48 MPH in 30 knt winds
        and on a nearly perfect snow covered surface. Certainly makes me want
        to get one.

        Ace