10 m line kiting!

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2001
      I had a chance to try 10 m line length with my Wipika Classic 3.5 in
      very gusty 14 - 28 knots of wind and these are my observation:

      1- The shortest line for kitesurfing is probably around the 10 m range.
      I simulated a water starting by sat down on the snow and dived the kite
      down to get on the skis (probably need the same force as water
      starting). I did that successfully but suspect that with lines shorter
      than 10m it would be very difficult.
      2- For kiteskiing, 10m line length probably have the best of both
      worlds: the ability to control the position of the kite still quick
      enough and the ability to generate more power during lulls (in wind 25+
      knots 0m line length is probably still better and safer)
      3- The power-surge of 10m line is very manageable such that one can
      hook-in permanently
      4- The Wipika Classics relaunch like a champ on snow with 10m line (and
      probably with longer lines)
      5- The ice is very very very fast. If one want to break kite speed
      sailing record, do it on ice (probably with 10 m line as on ice, one
      does not need lines longer than that to generate power to get going
      during lulls; the benefit is such that shorter lines allow one to be
      more precise and confident as the power surge is more manageable). On
      ice, one needs very little pull to start going and once one starts
      going, the apparent wind starts to build up such that in the end one
      ends up going many times the wind speed.
      6- After having used 4 line kites and fixed line length of around 30m
      for so long (it's a pain in the neck to change the lines of a 4 line
      kites), I started to rediscover the "lost art" of extending the range of
      a kite by using different line lengths. So far, the range of my Wipika
      Classic 3.5 is 14 - 35 knots for kiteskiing (now that's a range!). I
      used to have the similar wind range on my Wipika Classics 5.0 as my
      current AR5 5.5 by using line lengths between 20 - 40 m (I did not try
      10m line length on the Wipika Classics 5.0 back then)

      Used 2 line inflatables are very cheap lately so if you are a beginner,
      don't spend a fortune to get the new high AR 4 line inflatables with
      their "wonderful" range. You can probably get more range by using
      different line length 10 - 40 m on a cheap used 2 line inflatable
      (changing lines on a 2 line kite is no probleme). Unless you kitesurf
      in lightwind 15- knots then a high AR kite makes a lot of sense.