RE: [ksurfschool] Smallest kite for kiteskiing/kitesurfing

  • Troy Bezanson
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2007
      I took my 3.3m HQ Kite out in the storm Saturday and Sunday using my ice buggy.   The wind was always at least 50km with gusts up to 90km.   Traveling across the lake was very fast.  The kite stayed locked in most of the time,  even in gusts.  One thing I did notice was that I had to fly the kite lower than usual, as I found it had a tendency to take the weight off my inside blade if I flew it high.  When this happened, the back end would slide sideways a bit. Counter steering corrected it, but made me feel less in control.

      Going over bumps in the ice, made by snowmobiles can be treacherous.  As soon as the rear blades come off the ice, depending on how close to perpendicular you're going to the wind, the buggy will spin out on you.

      Being a skiier, I feel more comfortable going fast on skis.  But I couldn't image going as fast as I was on the buggy.    A full faced motorcycle helmet with shield is a must for cold strong winds!!! (and keeping my skull in one piece)

      Anyone have any tips for landing a foil in strong winds?  That thing just kept taking off on me.  By the time I managed to get it under control, my lines were so tangled, I wouldn't have been able to continue if I wanted to.

      The kite, experienced a minor tear where one of the bridle lines are attached.  I've managed to patch/sew the area.  I imagine I'll find out soon enough if the patch job was sufficient.  This particular kite is known to explode at the sign of any little defect.  I had one last summer that had 2 cells on both ends blow off.  Maybe there was too much force on the outside bridle lines. Either way,the Manufacturer replaced it, no questions asked. :)

      B.T.W.  It might be useful to have little strings attaching your mittens to your jacket on windy days( just like you're mom used to make you wear as a kid).  I spent 45 minutes Sunday afternoon walking the length of the lake in search of a glove that got away from me.