Re: [ksurfschool] ARC - Not that impressed

  • kiteboard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2001
      In a message dated 2/10/01 3:15:36 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      kenny@... writes:

      << I tried the new ARC 460 today kite skiing. I was surprised how long it
      took
      to inflate. I held it up to the wind at 45 degrees in a C Shape. I could
      have easily have inflated my 7.5 in less time. >>

      I found the same thing, without any TE flap PRE-preinflation. I think
      opening the TE Velcro first (while unwinding the lines) allows it to inflate
      enough to separate the skins enough to allow air in faster through the LE
      vents later. The last time I flew mine (crappy wind so I didn't bother
      reporting) I did a downwind launch, by putting LOTS* of sand on the tips of
      the TE, & then allowing it to fly once it was only about half-full. This
      happened by accident, because I was really waiting for it to inflate more,
      but one tip burst free of the huge pile of sand, so I just pulled the other
      one off too & up it went, still fully controllable.
      * nearly twice what I normally put on only one tip of my AR5

      << Mel described the ARC as having automatic gust control. ... This is a good
      feature if you are flying in moderately gusty conditions, but in extremely
      gusty conditions the kite kept losing power during lulls and then zooming to
      the edge of the window during gusts. >>

      I get the same impression, although I find the "zooming forward" to be much
      easier to edge against than an AR5. So easy in fact that most of the time I
      overcompensate. I think it will be a good kite for steady, moderately gusty,
      & even very gusty conditions, but maybe not QUITE* as good as an AR5 at
      handling INSANELY gusty conditions. I'm hoping that our typically very gusty
      local conditions will be within its "automatic" range, because I really like
      the lack of pump, small transport size, & downwind landing ability.
      *even once we get as used to it as we already are to our AR5s

      << In similar conditions using an AR5 I would just park the kite
      near the edge of the window and use the trim loop... >>

      Me too

      << This was my
      first time out, so maybe I just haven't figured out how to manage this kite
      in super gusty conditions. Of course, most kites I have tried have failed
      this test. 4 line AR-5's and the Wipika 16M have been the best kites for
      these type of conditions. >>

      It was only my second day on the 4.5 ("630 size") that was ridiculously gusty
      too. I got the impression that it was so gusty I'd have even been pushing
      the limits of an AR5. I'm going to "have" to ride it some more before making
      any real conclusions.

      Mel
    • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11, 2001
        Mel,

        Thank you for the inflation tip. I have a 8.4 and a 11.2 on order (winds
        tend to be light here). I figure that I may need to buy a device to inflate
        the kites in light winds.

        I am not going to give up on the ARC yet. I would really like to have a
        couple of these kites when I travel. My full quiver of kites (5.0, 7.5, 9.5,
        15.5) is a real pain to haul around.

        Kenny

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2001
          In a message dated 2/11/01 7:54:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          kennyfarnsworth@... writes:

          << I am not going to give up on the ARC yet. I would really like to have a
          couple of these kites when I travel. My full quiver of kites (5.0, 7.5,
          9.5,
          15.5) is a real pain to haul around. >>

          I'm not giving up yet either (especially since I haven't found any reason
          to!). However, for traveling purposes I think ARCs would be about equal to
          inflatables. Deflating all bladders, inflatables take no more space, & from
          my experience so far (somewhat limited, but I WAS out in 12-24mph) I get the
          feeling ARCs don't have any MORE wind range than AR5s (or AirBlasts, or
          Cabrinhas, etc). Maybe equal, but that would mean an equal number of kites
          to cover the same wind range, & therefore the same "pain to haul around",
          don't you think?

          Vladimel