Ace: Re: Jumping with a 9+

  • Peter Frank
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2001
      I always flew in 2 line mode (my kites was not reinforced for D&S
      anyway) - minimum line resistance.

      And as I said - using a long 90 cm bar (taken from an old broken
      carbon windsurf boom - it's extremely light....)

      I used 30 meter lines when powered - but in really light wind, I had
      a special 40 meter lineset (which also was slightly thinner/weaker -
      but this meant less drag also...)

      And you are right - the wind ranges given in ads are always somewhat
      ridiculous !

      BUT - I've been able to go out with the 9.4 and 40 meter lines, and
      not lose height (nor gain) in 6-7 knots only !!! On a big floaty
      board (240 cm), with a huge fin (I'm 72 kg).

      When you have a lot of forward speed, and longer lines so you don't
      have to turn all the time - you gain a lot of power with the
      Mosquitos - more than with inflatables.

      If I had the D&S I would fly 3 line, I guess.

      I don't think you should remove your brake lines, if you like these -
      just use them gently - not braking too much.
      Because it gives a lot of handling advantages when landing or
      preventing luffing, and you can definitively turn the kite a lot
      faster also, eventhough it slows down a bit.

      Peter Frank, DK.