RE: [ksurfschool] Nasa wing for kiteskiing?

  • Inland Sea Windsurf Co
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2001
      Petter,

      I was watching Mark Frasier ski with the C-quad and he had no problem going
      upwind or going very fast! If you are looking for a snow specific kite than
      I think the C-Quad is an excellent choice.

      Philip Mann
      Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
      1-802-862-3847
      1-888-465-2632
      www.inlandsea.com
      www.kitesite.net

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001

          What was the price of the NPW?

          > Although, I have heard that the upwind
          > capabilities may not be that great (compared to a CQuad,
          > for example). Will it hold ground (or even go upwind) or
          > shall I count on just doing downwinders? In other words,
          > not to bother.
          >
          > Any ideas?

          The C Quad is definately better for upwind and speed than the NPW by a long
          shot. A 4.2 C Quad should cost you about $250 new, I think. $300 tops. Plus
          lines, etc. The NPW is nice in some ways but upwind and speed are not their
          strengths. I don't know if you can actualy get upwind at all with them in
          deep snow but you should be able to on ice with skates. I have owned 2 NPW's
          but I've only buggied with one tiny one in high winds on grass. It could
          barely hold it's ground against the wind but was a little underpowered. You
          will definately have more fun with a C Quad though. Another option would be
          to look on the used pages for something like a quadrifoil XL. You can find
          links to used equipment pages at Hung's site -
          http://members.attcanada.ca/~hungvu/kitesurfing.htm .

          Mark Frasier
        • petter.frostell@telia.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
            Hi all,

            Thanks heaps for your help. The NPW5 sounds a bit dodgy
            regarding its upwind ability, so I'll probably go for
            the C Quad.

            Mark:
            > What was the price of the NPW?

            Between $US130-140.

            > http://members.attcanada.ca/~hungvu/kitesurfing.htm

            Thanks for the tip. I'll see if there are any European
            sites (I'm in Sweden).

            Bye for now.

            Petter.
          • Mark Frasier
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
              on 2/6/01 1:53 PM, petter.frostell@... at petter.frostell@...
              wrote:

              >> http://members.attcanada.ca/~hungvu/kitesurfing.htm
              >
              > Thanks for the tip. I'll see if there are any European
              > sites (I'm in Sweden).

              Check out http://www.vliegerop.nl/ if you decide to try a new C Quad.

              Mark Frasier
            • Dave Raue
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
                FWIW, my recent first and only kiteskiing was with XL - and I pointed higher
                upwind than I ever have on buggy, surfboard, or anything else. But I don't
                think there's anything special about the XL, any decent foil would be
                similar. So would C-quad. There are certainly lots of cheap use foils
                around. Don't try to find the "perfect" design, just get anything you can
                get your hands on.

                -D
                > > I'm still on my search for the most economical kite
                > > for kiteskiing. I have seen a good price on a NWP5
                > > Nasa Wing 4.8m.
                >
                > What was the price of the NPW?
                >
                > > Although, I have heard that the upwind
                > > capabilities may not be that great (compared to a CQuad,
                > > for example). Will it hold ground (or even go upwind) or
                > > shall I count on just doing downwinders? In other words,
                > > not to bother.
                > >
                > > Any ideas?
                >
                > The C Quad is definately better for upwind and speed than the NPW by a
                long
                > shot. A 4.2 C Quad should cost you about $250 new, I think. $300 tops.
                Plus
                > lines, etc. The NPW is nice in some ways but upwind and speed are not
                their
                > strengths. I don't know if you can actualy get upwind at all with them in
                > deep snow but you should be able to on ice with skates. I have owned 2
                NPW's
                > but I've only buggied with one tiny one in high winds on grass. It could
                > barely hold it's ground against the wind but was a little underpowered.
                You
                > will definately have more fun with a C Quad though. Another option would
                be
                > to look on the used pages for something like a quadrifoil XL. You can find
                > links to used equipment pages at Hung's site -
                > http://members.attcanada.ca/~hungvu/kitesurfing.htm .
                >
                > Mark Frasier

              • Mark Frasier
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001