Re: [ksurfschool] Naish 7.0 or 9.0

  • JR Johnston
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2000
      9.0

    • Martyn_Gilson-1@sbphrd.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2000
        Interesting response. I am learning at the moment and I purchased a 7m Naish.
        I thought that this would be a good compromise. The Naish kites are nice and
        are easy to hold on to when the wind picks up. If you get a 9M you will
        probably have to get a second, smaller kite as well which becomes expensive.

        It is very difficult to suggest what you should buy. The best advice would be
        to have a go of a kite, preferably a couple of different kites, e.g. a foil and
        a Naish and then compare. A foil is far more powerful and has a better wind
        window but ditch it and your swimming in. However, I have found that when
        learning it is best not to go into deep water and because of this you rarely
        ditch the kite, especially if you can fly it well on land.

        As I said I went for the 7m Naish and I am 85kg. My brother is 105Kg and
        struggled with my 7m in about 10-13 knots of wind, I mean he really has to throw
        it around to waterstart and then couldn't stay on because lack of power.

        If you are certain that you can get these constant winds of 8-15 knots then the
        9m would be good. But learning becomes easier when the wind is in the high range
        for the kite. If I had my choice again I would still stay with the 7m. Most of
        my mates have also compromised and got 6.5m wipikas which they are happy with,
        it depends on the wind coniditions and what you are going to get down the beach
        each time you go.

        jrstudio@... on 06-Apr-2000 09:38

        Please respond to ksurfschool@egroups.com

        To: ksurfschool
        cc: (bcc: Martyn Gilson-1/DEV/PHRD/SB_PLC)
        Subject: Re: [ksurfschool] Naish 7.0 or 9.0

        9.0

        @Backup- Protect and Access your data any time, any where on the net.
        Try @Backup FREE and recieve 300 points from mypoints.com Install now:
        http://click.egroups.com/1/2345/6/_/60094/_/955013938/
      • Martyn_Gilson-1@sbphrd.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2000
          Gary,
          It is terribly unfair for you to email the group and to say hurtful things like,
          "The winds here in Oahu..."

          I didn't realise that places like the Hawaiian Islands existed and I thought
          that this is where people went when they died. I thought all the 'photos' in
          the magazines are computer generated from dreams people have when they
          experience 'near death'. The 'tunnel of light' is the light streaming in to
          the wave when viewed from inside the tube!

          Cheers for your advice
          Martyn

          garys@... on 06-Apr-2000 11:35

          Please respond to ksurfschool@egroups.com

          To: ksurfschool
          cc: (bcc: Martyn Gilson-1/DEV/PHRD/SB_PLC)

          It all depends on where you live and the wind you get and a few other
          factors, like what type of board, etc..
          I bought a Naish 7.0 because I was new, and I haven't had the opportunity to
          use it with my wake board yet.. The winds here on Oahu are usually from 8 to
          15 mph as well, and being 200 pounds with a wake board, I needed something a
          lot stronger... I did end up buying a mosquito 9+ which is a foil and is
          water relaunchable.. No swimming back in for me :)
          If I could do it over again, I would have one kite and that would be the
          naish 11.5 and if the winds pick up, you shorten your lines (I have 20,30,
          and 40m line sets).. You can fly a bigger kite with shorter lines making it
          more affordable to where you only need one kite and not two like I have
          right now...
          I would definitely stick with a Naish though.. Very easy to control for
          beginning.. :)
          Good luck and aloha
          Gary

          http://click.egroups.com/1/2344/6/_/60094/_/955017356/