RE: [ksurfschool] Free Air2000 vs Free Air2001 (retail opinion)

  • Inland Sea Windsurf Co
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2001
      JD,

      the VARC (variable aspect ratio kite) is not new to 2001. the 2000 Free air kites have different aspect ratios for each size kite in the line just as do the 2001 kites.

      As far as I can tell the 2001 Free Air is really no different from the 2000-
      Personally I like the Free air for "beginners" as well as advanced Kites.

      The Free air is easy to deal with, relaunches easily and is a very stable flying kite.
      Both the 2000 and 2001 can be flown as a two or four line kite and making the change to four line is pretty straight forward.

      Personally I would recommend going with a 2000 to save yourself the money.
      Don't worry about the 2000 not having the performance you are looking for as it has plenty!

      As for the Air blast, I have my first shipment on the way and have not yet flown the kite. I think that the higher aspect ratio may cause some problems for beginners, but that remains to be seen.

      I tell my customers not to get too crazy about their first kite purchase, Keep it simple you will have a  much better time. Most of the kites out their will have far more capability that most of us will need.

      Feel free to contact me if you want to chat.

      Philip

      Philip Mann
      Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
      1-802-862-3847
      1-888-465-2632
      www.inlandsea.com
      www.kitesite.net

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2001
        JD,

        I weight about the same as you (80 kg). For the conditions you describe a
        16M FreeAir or the new Airblast 11.8 (approx. the same size) will cover the
        entire range. It may be more power than you are used to but you can use the
        trim loop when the wind is above 15 knots and you won't have to sit on the
        beach when the wind drops to 10 knots. Last summer, I used a 15.5 AR-5 in
        conditions ranging from 10 - 22 knots. The only thing I didn't like about
        the 15.5 is that it is a slow kite. I just sold it last week and I ordered a
        11.8 AirBlast to replace it. I personally recommend getting the AirBlast
        because of the reverse relaunching capability. The 15.5 was sometimes a pain
        to relaunch and it took a while. I hope that helps.

        Kenny

        << I've been using a Wipika classic 8.5 which I want to sell soon while it's
        still worth something. I weigh around 83 kilos. So the days when the wind
        was 12-18 knots, I was able to get out. BUT, I spent about half my time
        sitting around waiting either for the wind to pick up or die down. The wind
        range is around 8 - 24 knots. I'd like to try to get by with 2 kites rather
        than 3 as money is an issue. I'm ready to get a brand new Free Air (but
        don't know if 2000 or 2001 model) or Airblast but for the 2nd kite I'll look
        for something 2nd hand. Problem is, which sizes?
        I've seen 11.5 AR5s around 2nd hand but I'm not sure about their wind range.
        Do you think a kite around the 11m range and one around 7m would cover the
        8-24 knot range?
        Thanks for yr help.
        JD >>
      • John Deane
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
          Tks for yr reply - just got around to seeing it now. I have to admit the
          thought of a 16m in 18 knots with gusts is pretty daunting - my 8.5 is a
          handful in that kind of wind. Maybe I need a little more practice first.
          Tks
          JD

          >I weight about the same as you (80 kg). For the conditions you describe a
          >16M FreeAir or the new Airblast 11.8 (approx. the same size) will cover the
          >entire range. It may be more power than you are used to but you can use
          the
          >trim loop when the wind is above 15 knots and you won't have to sit on the
          >beach when the wind drops to 10 knots. Last summer, I used a 15.5 AR-5 in
          >conditions ranging from 10 - 22 knots. The only thing I didn't like about
          >the 15.5 is that it is a slow kite. I just sold it last week and I ordered
          >11.8 AirBlast to replace it. I personally recommend getting the AirBlast
          >because of the reverse relaunching capability. The 15.5 was sometimes a
          pain
          >to relaunch and it took a while. I hope that helps.
          >
          >Kenny
          >
          ><< I've been using a Wipika classic 8.5 which I want to sell soon while
          it's
          > still worth something. I weigh around 83 kilos. So the days when the wind
          > was 12-18 knots, I was able to get out. BUT, I spent about half my time
          > sitting around waiting either for the wind to pick up or die down. The
          wind
          > range is around 8 - 24 knots. I'd like to try to get by with 2 kites
          rather
          > than 3 as money is an issue. I'm ready to get a brand new Free Air (but
          > don't know if 2000 or 2001 model) or Airblast but for the 2nd kite I'll
          look
          > for something 2nd hand. Problem is, which sizes?
          > I've seen 11.5 AR5s around 2nd hand but I'm not sure about their wind
          range.
          > Do you think a kite around the 11m range and one around 7m would cover the
          > 8-24 knot range?
          > Thanks for yr help.
          > JD >>

        • John Deane
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
            Philip
            Tks for the advice!

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
              JD,

              I would not launch my 16M in 18 knots of wind, but if I was out on the water
              and the wind kicked up that fast, I would not go into shore. I would go for
              some big air and blast upwind in the trim loop. Honestly, above 16 knots I
              would probably launch a smaller kite (your 8.5 would be ideal).

              >I weight about the same as you (80 kg). For the conditions you describe a
              >16M FreeAir or the new Airblast 11.8 (approx. the same size) will cover the
              >entire range. It may be more power than you are used to but you can use
              the
              >trim loop when the wind is above 15 knots and you won't have to sit on the
              >beach when the wind drops to 10 knots. Last summer, I used a 15.5 AR-5 in
              >conditions ranging from 10 - 22 knots. The only thing I didn't like about
              >the 15.5 is that it is a slow kite. I just sold it last week and I ordered
              >11.8 AirBlast to replace it. I personally recommend getting the AirBlast
              >because of the reverse relaunching capability. The 15.5 was sometimes a
              pain
              >to relaunch and it took a while. I hope that helps.
              >
              >Kenny
              >
              ><< I've been using a Wipika classic 8.5 which I want to sell soon while
              it's
              > still worth something. I weigh around 83 kilos. So the days when the wind
              > was 12-18 knots, I was able to get out. BUT, I spent about half my time
              > sitting around waiting either for the wind to pick up or die down. The
              wind
              > range is around 8 - 24 knots. I'd like to try to get by with 2 kites
              rather
              > than 3 as money is an issue. I'm ready to get a brand new Free Air (but
              > don't know if 2000 or 2001 model) or Airblast but for the 2nd kite I'll
              look
              > for something 2nd hand. Problem is, which sizes?
              > I've seen 11.5 AR5s around 2nd hand but I'm not sure about their wind
              range.
              > Do you think a kite around the 11m range and one around 7m would cover the
              > 8-24 knot range?
              > Thanks for yr help.
              > JD >>

            • John Deane
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
                How long, in general, does it take to get used to using
                a trim loop well after having only used 2 line kites?

              • Peter Frank
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
                  Sorry, I'm not Kenny - but anyway:

                  You can change to 4 line anytime - because it is very easy to get
                  used to the trim-strap.
                  You get used to that the very first day you try it, I'm sure.
                  And then you don't need to use the trim-loop, you can just fly the
                  kite like you are used to, and on land, or shallow water - adjust the
                  trim-strap.

                  And then gradually try the trim-loop later on.
                  It'll take some time (10 sessions or more ?) to be able to take real
                  advantage of the trim-loop.

                  Peter Frank, DK.

                • Anton Potgieter
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 8, 2001
                    JD,

                    I am extremely amateur (about 2 months) but found that with my new 13.5 AR5
                    I got used to the trim lines almost immediately - and they are an absolute
                    joy to ride with . The day I first tried the 4 line rig I was also
                    massively overpowered, so I did a few kilometres body drag behind the back
                    line to get used to the lines before getting on the board - I was planing
                    consistently, flying a lot of the time, bruised for days - and totally amped
                    to be able to power up at will! Go for it!

                    Regards,
                    Anton.

                    How long, in general, does it take to get used to using
                    a trim loop well after having only used 2 line kites?

                    JD

                    >I would not launch my 16M in 18 knots of wind, but if I was out on the
                    water
                    >and the wind kicked up that fast, I would not go into shore. I would go
                    for
                    >some big air and blast upwind in the trim loop. Honestly, above 16 knots I
                    >would probably launch a smaller kite (your 8.5 would be ideal).
                    >
                    >Kenny

                    the system manager.

                    www.mimesweeper.com
                  • Farnsworth, Kenny
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 8, 2001
                      JD,

                      One session. I think the only thing you have to keep in mind when using the
                      trim loop is that the kite steers very slowly when it is sheeted out. You
                      have to get used to pulling the bar close to your chest to steer and then
                      sheeting out to depower when the kite is in the position you wish.

                      I have to tell you that you will be amazed by how much easier controlling
                      the kite will be once you start using the trim loop, especially in gusty
                      conditions. It almost feels like cheating. You can go upwind so easy
                      during a powerful gust by just sheeting the kite out and pointing your board
                      upwind.

                      How long, in general, does it take to get used to using
                      a trim loop well after having only used 2 line kites?

                      JD

                      >I would not launch my 16M in 18 knots of wind, but if I was out on the
                      water
                      >and the wind kicked up that fast, I would not go into shore. I would go
                      for
                      >some big air and blast upwind in the trim loop. Honestly, above 16 knots I
                      >would probably launch a smaller kite (your 8.5 would be ideal).
                      >
                      >Kenny

                    • Anton Potgieter
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 9, 2001
                        JD,

                        One other tip which I learned the hard way ... do not be tempted to use both
                        hands to position your board if you are only hooked into the trim loop! I
                        did so (because my 4 line kite (13.5AR5) was much more stable than the 2
                        line (7.0AR3.5) for some reason and just seemed to invite "no hands") While
                        I was hauling the board in from behind me (in quite large surf), the bar
                        flipped round ... the kite then started a dive, which I left for a while,
                        and when I grabbed the bar to correct, I was of course pulling the wrong
                        side! A nasty crash into the surf line ensued ... :-o

                        Regards,
                        Anton.

                        How long, in general, does it take to get used to using
                        a trim loop well after having only used 2 line kites?

                        JD

                        >I would not launch my 16M in 18 knots of wind, but if I was out on the
                        water
                        >and the wind kicked up that fast, I would not go into shore. I would go
                        for
                        >some big air and blast upwind in the trim loop. Honestly, above 16 knots I
                        >would probably launch a smaller kite (your 8.5 would be ideal).
                        >
                        >Kenny

                        the system manager.

                        www.mimesweeper.com