Re: [ksurfschool] OK - I'm not so confused now !!!...

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2001
      Buzz Robert A Bezzina wrote:
      > and a large Wipika kite that give you at least 8 m2 PROJECTED SURFACE
      > (The Wipika FreeAir VARC 8.9 or 11.5 - not the old Free Air).
      >
      > OK, FIRSTLY IS THE WIPIKA AN INFLATABLE ?
      >
      > AND, WHAT DOES 'ARC' (& VARC) ACTUALLY STAND FOR ?

      Wipika is an inlfatable (actually, they invented it :-)

      VARC stands for Variable Aspect Ratio Concept (this means that you get
      different aspect ratios for different kite size - may be Chris can put
      VARC in our glossary at http://members.attcanada.ca/~hungvu/glossary.htm
      for the next update :))

      > When you get better you can add the Wipika Airblast 16.4 to your
      > quiver. Voila, allez flysurf!
      >
      > THANX, I REALISE I'M GUNNA HAVE TO GET DRAGGED ALONG A BEACH FOR A
      > FEWS DAYS FIRST BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO TRY THE BOARD AS WELL...
      >
      > (ACTUALLY, WE DON'T HAVE VERY WIDE BEACHES HERE - LOTS OF SHALLOW
      > WATER THOUGH WHICH SHOULD BE GREAT LATER ON FOR LEARNING WITH THE
      > BOARD)
      >
      > ALSO, WHAT ABOUT THE NAISH KITES ? THE ONLY REASON I ASK IS BECAUSE I
      > CAN GET A REALLY GOOD DEAL ON A COUPLE OF LAST YEARS MODELS, SO
      > THOUGHT IT'S BE BETTER TO TRASH A LESS EXPENSIVE ONE FIRST ???

      They should be fine too! However, for very light wind the AirBlast is
      slightly better (higher AR and reverse relaunch). I am thinking of
      getting an AirBlast 16.4 myself this summer (I have to start saving
      money for it now :-(

      > Concept Air have been promising this 12 m2 New Wave for a while and
      > you may want to check with them to see whether they have it. If this
      > is the case, you can go for the New Wave 9.3 and then 12 later.
      >
      > SOUNDS GOOD ( especailly if they do eventually make a 12m2) ... IS THE
      > CONCEPT NEW WAVE AN INFLATABLE ?

      All the Concept Air kites are foils. I heard a "rumor" that Concept Air
      have shipped and is making the EX's Wave 12.5 m2 (now, that's a kite)

      > PS: one last question: do you have handy the wipika URL ?

      www.wipika.com and URL's for most kitesurfing manufacturers (Wipika,
      Concept Air, etc.):

      http://members.attcanada.ca/~hungvu/kitesurfinglinks.htm