RE: [ksurfschool] Free Air2000 vs Free Air2001 (retail opinion)

  • Inland Sea Windsurf Co
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2001
      JD,

      the VARC (variable aspect ratio kite) is not new to 2001. the 2000 Free air kites have different aspect ratios for each size kite in the line just as do the 2001 kites.

      As far as I can tell the 2001 Free Air is really no different from the 2000-
      Personally I like the Free air for "beginners" as well as advanced Kites.

      The Free air is easy to deal with, relaunches easily and is a very stable flying kite.
      Both the 2000 and 2001 can be flown as a two or four line kite and making the change to four line is pretty straight forward.

      Personally I would recommend going with a 2000 to save yourself the money.
      Don't worry about the 2000 not having the performance you are looking for as it has plenty!

      As for the Air blast, I have my first shipment on the way and have not yet flown the kite. I think that the higher aspect ratio may cause some problems for beginners, but that remains to be seen.

      I tell my customers not to get too crazy about their first kite purchase, Keep it simple you will have a  much better time. Most of the kites out their will have far more capability that most of us will need.

      Feel free to contact me if you want to chat.

      Philip

      Philip Mann
      Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
      1-802-862-3847
      1-888-465-2632
      www.inlandsea.com
      www.kitesite.net

      There are deals around for the 2000 Free Airs, as I'm sure you know, so I've been wondering if I should take advantage of that now.  But with the new VARC concept, is this year's Free Air VERY different?
      Plus sellers are saying the Airblast, which from what I understand is a high performance kite, can be used by people with only a few months experience.  So my other question is, what type of ride do the new 2001 Airblasts and Free Airs offer?

      Tks for yr help
      JD

    • John Deane
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2001

      • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2001
          JD,

          I think it depends on which model you are considering purchasing. I think
          the 16M FreeAir is a great kite and I think it is superior to the Naish 15.5.
          However, I have heard some great reviews on the new 11.8 Airblast
          (approximately same size, but Wipika decided to confuse us all) see the
          review by Jeff Quick in the ksurf egroup. I personally am selling my 11.0
          FreeAir because it has a low aspect ratio. It is slow and does not respond
          as well to gusty conditions as the 11.5 Naish AR-5. If you are just starting
          and want a 2 line kite that you can later convert to 4 lines, I recommend the
          smaller (8.5 and down) over the Naish AR-3.5 kites. The Free Air Kites are
          easy to convert to 4 lines because the come with handy velcro strips that
          make the conversion simple and clean. I hope that helps. Please do not
          hesitate to ask more questions.

          Kenny

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2001
            Thanks for yr reply.
            I've got about 4 months of weekend practice under my belt - my problem is
            that, where I go, the wind is pretty variable.
            I've been using a Wipika classic 8.5 which I want to sell soon while it's
            still worth something. I weigh around 83 kilos. So the days when the wind
            was 12-18 knots, I was able to get out. BUT, I spent about half my time
            sitting around waiting either for the wind to pick up or die down. The wind
            range is around 8 - 24 knots. I'd like to try to get by with 2 kites rather
            than 3 as money is an issue. I'm ready to get a brand new Free Air (but
            don't know if 2000 or 2001 model) or Airblast but for the 2nd kite I'll look
            for something 2nd hand. Problem is, which sizes?
            I've seen 11.5 AR5s around 2nd hand but I'm not sure about their wind range.
            Do you think a kite around the 11m range and one around 7m would cover the
            8-24 knot range?
            Thanks for yr help.

          • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2001
              JD,

              I weight about the same as you (80 kg). For the conditions you describe a
              16M FreeAir or the new Airblast 11.8 (approx. the same size) will cover the
              entire range. It may be more power than you are used to but you can use the
              trim loop when the wind is above 15 knots and you won't have to sit on the
              beach when the wind drops to 10 knots. Last summer, I used a 15.5 AR-5 in
              conditions ranging from 10 - 22 knots. The only thing I didn't like about
              the 15.5 is that it is a slow kite. I just sold it last week and I ordered a
              11.8 AirBlast to replace it. I personally recommend getting the AirBlast
              because of the reverse relaunching capability. The 15.5 was sometimes a pain
              to relaunch and it took a while. I hope that helps.

              Kenny

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
                Tks for yr reply - just got around to seeing it now. I have to admit the
                thought of a 16m in 18 knots with gusts is pretty daunting - my 8.5 is a
                handful in that kind of wind. Maybe I need a little more practice first.
                Tks
                JD

                >I weight about the same as you (80 kg). For the conditions you describe a
                >16M FreeAir or the new Airblast 11.8 (approx. the same size) will cover the
                >entire range. It may be more power than you are used to but you can use
                the
                >trim loop when the wind is above 15 knots and you won't have to sit on the
                >beach when the wind drops to 10 knots. Last summer, I used a 15.5 AR-5 in
                >conditions ranging from 10 - 22 knots. The only thing I didn't like about
                >the 15.5 is that it is a slow kite. I just sold it last week and I ordered
                >11.8 AirBlast to replace it. I personally recommend getting the AirBlast
                >because of the reverse relaunching capability. The 15.5 was sometimes a
                pain
                >to relaunch and it took a while. I hope that helps.
                >
                >Kenny
                >
                ><< I've been using a Wipika classic 8.5 which I want to sell soon while
                it's
                > still worth something. I weigh around 83 kilos. So the days when the wind
                > was 12-18 knots, I was able to get out. BUT, I spent about half my time
                > sitting around waiting either for the wind to pick up or die down. The
                wind
                > range is around 8 - 24 knots. I'd like to try to get by with 2 kites
                rather
                > than 3 as money is an issue. I'm ready to get a brand new Free Air (but
                > don't know if 2000 or 2001 model) or Airblast but for the 2nd kite I'll
                look
                > for something 2nd hand. Problem is, which sizes?
                > I've seen 11.5 AR5s around 2nd hand but I'm not sure about their wind
                range.
                > Do you think a kite around the 11m range and one around 7m would cover the
                > 8-24 knot range?
                > Thanks for yr help.
                > JD >>

              • John Deane
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
                  Philip
                  Tks for the advice!

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
                    JD,

                    I would not launch my 16M in 18 knots of wind, but if I was out on the water
                    and the wind kicked up that fast, I would not go into shore. I would go for
                    some big air and blast upwind in the trim loop. Honestly, above 16 knots I
                    would probably launch a smaller kite (your 8.5 would be ideal).

                    >I weight about the same as you (80 kg). For the conditions you describe a
                    >16M FreeAir or the new Airblast 11.8 (approx. the same size) will cover the
                    >entire range. It may be more power than you are used to but you can use
                    the
                    >trim loop when the wind is above 15 knots and you won't have to sit on the
                    >beach when the wind drops to 10 knots. Last summer, I used a 15.5 AR-5 in
                    >conditions ranging from 10 - 22 knots. The only thing I didn't like about
                    >the 15.5 is that it is a slow kite. I just sold it last week and I ordered
                    >11.8 AirBlast to replace it. I personally recommend getting the AirBlast
                    >because of the reverse relaunching capability. The 15.5 was sometimes a
                    pain
                    >to relaunch and it took a while. I hope that helps.
                    >
                    >Kenny
                    >
                    ><< I've been using a Wipika classic 8.5 which I want to sell soon while
                    it's
                    > still worth something. I weigh around 83 kilos. So the days when the wind
                    > was 12-18 knots, I was able to get out. BUT, I spent about half my time
                    > sitting around waiting either for the wind to pick up or die down. The
                    wind
                    > range is around 8 - 24 knots. I'd like to try to get by with 2 kites
                    rather
                    > than 3 as money is an issue. I'm ready to get a brand new Free Air (but
                    > don't know if 2000 or 2001 model) or Airblast but for the 2nd kite I'll
                    look
                    > for something 2nd hand. Problem is, which sizes?
                    > I've seen 11.5 AR5s around 2nd hand but I'm not sure about their wind
                    range.
                    > Do you think a kite around the 11m range and one around 7m would cover the
                    > 8-24 knot range?
                    > Thanks for yr help.
                    > JD >>

                  • John Deane
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
                      How long, in general, does it take to get used to using
                      a trim loop well after having only used 2 line kites?

                    • Peter Frank
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
                        Sorry, I'm not Kenny - but anyway:

                        You can change to 4 line anytime - because it is very easy to get
                        used to the trim-strap.
                        You get used to that the very first day you try it, I'm sure.
                        And then you don't need to use the trim-loop, you can just fly the
                        kite like you are used to, and on land, or shallow water - adjust the
                        trim-strap.

                        And then gradually try the trim-loop later on.
                        It'll take some time (10 sessions or more ?) to be able to take real
                        advantage of the trim-loop.

                        Peter Frank, DK.

                      • Anton Potgieter
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 8, 2001
                          JD,

                          I am extremely amateur (about 2 months) but found that with my new 13.5 AR5
                          I got used to the trim lines almost immediately - and they are an absolute
                          joy to ride with . The day I first tried the 4 line rig I was also
                          massively overpowered, so I did a few kilometres body drag behind the back
                          line to get used to the lines before getting on the board - I was planing
                          consistently, flying a lot of the time, bruised for days - and totally amped
                          to be able to power up at will! Go for it!

                          Regards,
                          Anton.

                          How long, in general, does it take to get used to using
                          a trim loop well after having only used 2 line kites?

                          JD

                          >I would not launch my 16M in 18 knots of wind, but if I was out on the
                          water
                          >and the wind kicked up that fast, I would not go into shore. I would go
                          for
                          >some big air and blast upwind in the trim loop. Honestly, above 16 knots I
                          >would probably launch a smaller kite (your 8.5 would be ideal).
                          >
                          >Kenny

                          the system manager.

                          www.mimesweeper.com
                        • Farnsworth, Kenny
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 8, 2001
                            JD,

                            One session. I think the only thing you have to keep in mind when using the
                            trim loop is that the kite steers very slowly when it is sheeted out. You
                            have to get used to pulling the bar close to your chest to steer and then
                            sheeting out to depower when the kite is in the position you wish.

                            I have to tell you that you will be amazed by how much easier controlling
                            the kite will be once you start using the trim loop, especially in gusty
                            conditions. It almost feels like cheating. You can go upwind so easy
                            during a powerful gust by just sheeting the kite out and pointing your board
                            upwind.

                            How long, in general, does it take to get used to using
                            a trim loop well after having only used 2 line kites?

                            JD

                            >I would not launch my 16M in 18 knots of wind, but if I was out on the
                            water
                            >and the wind kicked up that fast, I would not go into shore. I would go
                            for
                            >some big air and blast upwind in the trim loop. Honestly, above 16 knots I
                            >would probably launch a smaller kite (your 8.5 would be ideal).
                            >
                            >Kenny

                          • Anton Potgieter
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 9, 2001
                              JD,

                              One other tip which I learned the hard way ... do not be tempted to use both
                              hands to position your board if you are only hooked into the trim loop! I
                              did so (because my 4 line kite (13.5AR5) was much more stable than the 2
                              line (7.0AR3.5) for some reason and just seemed to invite "no hands") While
                              I was hauling the board in from behind me (in quite large surf), the bar
                              flipped round ... the kite then started a dive, which I left for a while,
                              and when I grabbed the bar to correct, I was of course pulling the wrong
                              side! A nasty crash into the surf line ensued ... :-o

                              Regards,
                              Anton.

                              How long, in general, does it take to get used to using
                              a trim loop well after having only used 2 line kites?

                              JD

                              >I would not launch my 16M in 18 knots of wind, but if I was out on the
                              water
                              >and the wind kicked up that fast, I would not go into shore. I would go
                              for
                              >some big air and blast upwind in the trim loop. Honestly, above 16 knots I
                              >would probably launch a smaller kite (your 8.5 would be ideal).
                              >
                              >Kenny

                              the system manager.

                              www.mimesweeper.com