OK - I'm not so confused now !!!...

  • Buzz Robert A Bezzina
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2 11:02 PM

      Thanx so much for your reply Hung...

      Not as confused as before however still have a couple of questions...

      >For mostly 5-10 knots, sometimes 10-15 knots and 80-83 kg, it's best to start with a 7' directional board or 6' bidirectional board

      YEAH, I SORT OF ALREADY WORKED OUT THAT ONE OF THE LARGER SIZE DIRECTIONALS WOULD BE THE WAY TO GO...

      and a large Wipika kite that give you at least 8 m2 PROJECTED SURFACE (The Wipika FreeAir VARC 8.9 or 11.5 - not the old Free Air).

      OK, FIRSTLY IS THE WIPIKA AN INFLATABLE ?

      AND, WHAT DOES 'ARC' (& VARC) ACTUALLY STAND FOR ?

      When you get better you can add the Wipika Airblast 16.4 to your quiver. Voila, allez flysurf!

      THANX, I REALISE I'M GUNNA HAVE TO GET DRAGGED ALONG A BEACH FOR A FEWS DAYS FIRST BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO TRY THE BOARD AS WELL...

      (ACTUALLY, WE DON'T HAVE VERY WIDE BEACHES HERE - LOTS OF SHALLOW WATER THOUGH WHICH SHOULD BE GREAT LATER ON FOR LEARNING WITH THE BOARD)

      ALSO, WHAT ABOUT THE NAISH KITES ? THE ONLY REASON I ASK IS BECAUSE I CAN GET A REALLY GOOD DEAL ON A COUPLE OF LAST YEARS MODELS, SO THOUGHT IT'S BE BETTER TO TRASH A LESS EXPENSIVE ONE FIRST ???

      >P.S. Foils are much better for light wind; however, for some reasons, foils vendor "cannot" make foils bigger than 10 m2

      IS THE WIPIKA PROJECTED SURFACE OF 8m2 (The Wipika FreeAir VARC 8.9 WHICH U MENTIONED ABOVE )  MORE POWERFUL THAN A FOIL 10m2 ???

       and for your weight and light wind condition you cannot buy bigger kites if you go the foil route.

      OH OK, SO FORGET ABOUT A FOIL THEN ...

       Concept Air have been promising this 12 m2 New Wave for a while and you may want to check with them to see whether they have it. If this is the case, you can go for the New Wave 9.3 and then 12 later.

      SOUNDS GOOD ( especailly if they do eventually make a 12m2) ... IS THE CONCEPT NEW WAVE AN INFLATABLE ?

      ANYWAY, THANX SO MUCH FOR THE ADVICE HUNG - REALLY, IT'S MUCHLY APPRECIATED!!!

      WARM REGARDS FROM THE TROPIICS,

      BUZZ.

      PS: one last question: do you have handy the wipika URL ?

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3 7:18 AM
        Buzz Robert A Bezzina wrote:
        > and a large Wipika kite that give you at least 8 m2 PROJECTED SURFACE
        > (The Wipika FreeAir VARC 8.9 or 11.5 - not the old Free Air).
        >
        > OK, FIRSTLY IS THE WIPIKA AN INFLATABLE ?
        >
        > AND, WHAT DOES 'ARC' (& VARC) ACTUALLY STAND FOR ?

        Wipika is an inlfatable (actually, they invented it :-)

        VARC stands for Variable Aspect Ratio Concept (this means that you get
        different aspect ratios for different kite size - may be Chris can put
        VARC in our glossary at http://members.attcanada.ca/~hungvu/glossary.htm
        for the next update :))

        > When you get better you can add the Wipika Airblast 16.4 to your
        > quiver. Voila, allez flysurf!
        >
        > THANX, I REALISE I'M GUNNA HAVE TO GET DRAGGED ALONG A BEACH FOR A
        > FEWS DAYS FIRST BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO TRY THE BOARD AS WELL...
        >
        > (ACTUALLY, WE DON'T HAVE VERY WIDE BEACHES HERE - LOTS OF SHALLOW
        > WATER THOUGH WHICH SHOULD BE GREAT LATER ON FOR LEARNING WITH THE
        > BOARD)
        >
        > ALSO, WHAT ABOUT THE NAISH KITES ? THE ONLY REASON I ASK IS BECAUSE I
        > CAN GET A REALLY GOOD DEAL ON A COUPLE OF LAST YEARS MODELS, SO
        > THOUGHT IT'S BE BETTER TO TRASH A LESS EXPENSIVE ONE FIRST ???

        They should be fine too! However, for very light wind the AirBlast is
        slightly better (higher AR and reverse relaunch). I am thinking of
        getting an AirBlast 16.4 myself this summer (I have to start saving
        money for it now :-(

        > Concept Air have been promising this 12 m2 New Wave for a while and
        > you may want to check with them to see whether they have it. If this
        > is the case, you can go for the New Wave 9.3 and then 12 later.
        >
        > SOUNDS GOOD ( especailly if they do eventually make a 12m2) ... IS THE
        > CONCEPT NEW WAVE AN INFLATABLE ?

        All the Concept Air kites are foils. I heard a "rumor" that Concept Air
        have shipped and is making the EX's Wave 12.5 m2 (now, that's a kite)

        > PS: one last question: do you have handy the wipika URL ?

        www.wipika.com and URL's for most kitesurfing manufacturers (Wipika,
        Concept Air, etc.):

        http://members.attcanada.ca/~hungvu/kitesurfinglinks.htm