Building kitesurfing boards!

  • ian.billings@i12.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2001
      I am interested in learning more about building kitesurfing boards due
      the occupational hazard that windsurfing/kitesurfing students have of
      having
      very little money. Does anybody have any information about building
      kitesurfing boards, I'm looking at making a directional board at the
      moment
      I'm planning on using a standard surfboard blank with extra fibreglass
      on
      top to add to it's strength and obviously blocks to skrew the
      footstraps
      into. Can anybody give me any information on length, rail shape,
      footstrap
      postion, or any other advice on how to do it.
      I've been kitesurfing once before and by the end of the day was
      getting up
      quite confidently on both sides using a Naish AR5 7.5 (8-10kts I
      think) on a
      Naish beginners board (about 7'6 long), so I want to make myself
      something
      that will allow me to progress to jumping and jibing whilst not having
      to be
      too overpowered to get up and planing.
      Any suggestions or information welcome, I look forward to hearing the
      replies.
      Thanks
      Ian
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2001
        Check out Rainer's board building site at
        http://students.washington.edu/rainer/

        I will add the link to this site to the Kitesurfing FAQ in the next
        update.

        Hung.

        ian.billings@... wrote:

        > I am interested in learning more about building kitesurfing boards due
        > the occupational hazard that windsurfing/kitesurfing students have of
        > having
        > very little money. Does anybody have any information about building
        > kitesurfing boards, I'm looking at making a directional board at the
        > moment
        > I'm planning on using a standard surfboard blank with extra fibreglass
        > on
        > top to add to it's strength and obviously blocks to skrew the
        > footstraps
        > into. Can anybody give me any information on length, rail shape,
        > footstrap
        > postion, or any other advice on how to do it.
        > I've been kitesurfing once before and by the end of the day was
        > getting up
        > quite confidently on both sides using a Naish AR5 7.5 (8-10kts I
        > think) on a
        > Naish beginners board (about 7'6 long), so I want to make myself
        > something
        > that will allow me to progress to jumping and jibing whilst not having
        > to be
        > too overpowered to get up and planing.
        > Any suggestions or information welcome, I look forward to hearing the
        > replies.
        > Thanks
        > Ian

      • Anthony
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2001
          See www.viser.net/~anthwind/ for board building information.
          There are surfboard blanks with kiteboard rocker lines available.
          I know www.fiberglasssupply.com has some kiteboard blanks in stock.