Re: Frustrating day with the AR5

  • herrerav@fibertel.com.ar
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2001
      Hung,

      That really sounds like great advice. I'll try playing around with
      all the crossing possibilities on land and hope to get the hang of it.

      I'll keep you posted on the progress

      Regards

      Rodrigo
      Buenos Aires, Argentina

      > It happened to me a couple of times too after wipe-outs in big
      jumps.
      > Use the following tricks:
      >
      > 1- Learn the art of tangling and untangling at home (tie your
      4 lines
      > to 4 posts on the ground 30m away and then learn how to tangle and
      > untangle your bar & safety leash with your lines - you will be
      amazed
      > ;-)
      > 2- If you have yet master the untangling art, most of the
      time, you
      > should still be able to control the kite well enough to continue as
      > usual.
      > 3- The other times, you should still be able to ride back to
      the beach
      > to re-align the lines.
      >
      > In any case, don't drop the bar too often; try to bring the kite up
      > overhead instead - get off your board if you have to. (Lines on the
      > water are also dangerous as the kite can launch at any moment if the
      > lines got caught on something)
      >
      > Hung.
      >
      > herrerav@f... wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi, I just got back from a session with my Naish AR5 13.5m2. I'm a
      > > beginner in this kite business but I'm already at a point where
      I'm
      > > able to go upwind and a lot of times get back to where I started
      > > without walking (I'm pretty proud of that actually)
      > >
      > > Anyway, one of the frustrations I'm experiencing with my four line
      > > kite is that if I let go of the bar (this happens to me when I see
      > > TOO MANY windsurfers coming straight at me and I'm no too much in
      > > control, and I don't want to kill anyone for example) all the
      lines
      > > become tangled (basically the ones on the sides with the ones in
      the
      > > middle) and I don't even have a clue how to start untangling. I
      also
      > > don't know if it is because of the bar spininning within the
      lines or
      > > if it is the kite. The kite does work with the lines crossed but
      it
      > > feels awkward, and I lose confidence that it can work right
      (maybe it
      > > can)
      > >
      > > I finish going back to land, disconneting, and reconnecting the
      lines.
      > > Obviously this isn't an answer since if it happens further out
      (for
      > > now I always try to stay in shallow water since I'm not too
      confident
      > > in deep water)
      > >
      > > Can anyone give me advice on this?
      > > Is it that I should never let go of the bar?
      > > Is it that it's only psychologicar and that the kite works fine
      with
      > > the lines crossed?
      > >
      > > I would really appreciate any help
      > >
      > > Thanks

    • Farnsworth, Kenny
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2001
        Rodrigo,

        I have three more tips for you.

        1. Instead of letting go of the bar, fly the kite overhead where it
        generates less power. If you continue to feel out of control, harness into
        the trim loop and fly the kite gradually from side to side to keep it from
        luffing. This will depower the kite and allow the windsurfers to go by
        without the kite dragging you downwind. You will have to restart getting up
        on the board, but at least you won't have to relaunch your kite.

        2. Get rid of your stock Naish Bar and replace it with an AirRush Reride
        Bar or a Slingshot Bar. Both of those control bars have a hole on one end
        of the bar that allows the leader line to feed through when you let go of
        the bar. This is a superior safety system compared to the Naish system (I
        don't know if Naish has changed this feature on their 2001 control bars).
        The kite may still spin around once or twice before it hits the water, but
        much less spinning occurs compared to using the safety leash on the Naish
        Control bar.

        3. Try to kite surf away from windsurfers and other water users while you
        are still learning. I am glad that you are considerate of their safety.
        You do have the ability to really hurt somebody if you are not careful.