Re: [ksurfschool] Frustrating day with the AR5

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
      It happened to me a couple of times too after wipe-outs in big jumps.
      Use the following tricks:

      1- Learn the art of tangling and untangling at home (tie your 4 lines
      to 4 posts on the ground 30m away and then learn how to tangle and
      untangle your bar & safety leash with your lines - you will be amazed
      ;-)
      2- If you have yet master the untangling art, most of the time, you
      should still be able to control the kite well enough to continue as
      usual.
      3- The other times, you should still be able to ride back to the beach
      to re-align the lines.

      In any case, don't drop the bar too often; try to bring the kite up
      overhead instead - get off your board if you have to. (Lines on the
      water are also dangerous as the kite can launch at any moment if the
      lines got caught on something)

      Hung.

    • herrerav@fibertel.com.ar
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2001
        Hung,

        That really sounds like great advice. I'll try playing around with
        all the crossing possibilities on land and hope to get the hang of it.

        I'll keep you posted on the progress

        Regards

        Rodrigo
        Buenos Aires, Argentina

      • Farnsworth, Kenny
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2001
          Rodrigo,

          I have three more tips for you.

          1. Instead of letting go of the bar, fly the kite overhead where it
          generates less power. If you continue to feel out of control, harness into
          the trim loop and fly the kite gradually from side to side to keep it from
          luffing. This will depower the kite and allow the windsurfers to go by
          without the kite dragging you downwind. You will have to restart getting up
          on the board, but at least you won't have to relaunch your kite.

          2. Get rid of your stock Naish Bar and replace it with an AirRush Reride
          Bar or a Slingshot Bar. Both of those control bars have a hole on one end
          of the bar that allows the leader line to feed through when you let go of
          the bar. This is a superior safety system compared to the Naish system (I
          don't know if Naish has changed this feature on their 2001 control bars).
          The kite may still spin around once or twice before it hits the water, but
          much less spinning occurs compared to using the safety leash on the Naish
          Control bar.

          3. Try to kite surf away from windsurfers and other water users while you
          are still learning. I am glad that you are considerate of their safety.
          You do have the ability to really hurt somebody if you are not careful.