Frustrating day with the AR5

  • herrerav@fibertel.com.ar
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
      Hi, I just got back from a session with my Naish AR5 13.5m2. I'm a
      beginner in this kite business but I'm already at a point where I'm
      able to go upwind and a lot of times get back to where I started
      without walking (I'm pretty proud of that actually)

      Anyway, one of the frustrations I'm experiencing with my four line
      kite is that if I let go of the bar (this happens to me when I see
      TOO MANY windsurfers coming straight at me and I'm no too much in
      control, and I don't want to kill anyone for example) all the lines
      become tangled (basically the ones on the sides with the ones in the
      middle) and I don't even have a clue how to start untangling. I also
      don't know if it is because of the bar spininning within the lines or
      if it is the kite. The kite does work with the lines crossed but it
      feels awkward, and I lose confidence that it can work right (maybe it
      can)

      I finish going back to land, disconneting, and reconnecting the lines.
      Obviously this isn't an answer since if it happens further out (for
      now I always try to stay in shallow water since I'm not too confident
      in deep water)

      Can anyone give me advice on this?
      Is it that I should never let go of the bar?
      Is it that it's only psychologicar and that the kite works fine with
      the lines crossed?

      I would really appreciate any help

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
        It happened to me a couple of times too after wipe-outs in big jumps.
        Use the following tricks:

        1- Learn the art of tangling and untangling at home (tie your 4 lines
        to 4 posts on the ground 30m away and then learn how to tangle and
        untangle your bar & safety leash with your lines - you will be amazed
        ;-)
        2- If you have yet master the untangling art, most of the time, you
        should still be able to control the kite well enough to continue as
        usual.
        3- The other times, you should still be able to ride back to the beach
        to re-align the lines.

        In any case, don't drop the bar too often; try to bring the kite up
        overhead instead - get off your board if you have to. (Lines on the
        water are also dangerous as the kite can launch at any moment if the
        lines got caught on something)

        Hung.

      • herrerav@fibertel.com.ar
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2001
          Hung,

          That really sounds like great advice. I'll try playing around with
          all the crossing possibilities on land and hope to get the hang of it.

          I'll keep you posted on the progress

          Regards

          Rodrigo
          Buenos Aires, Argentina

        • Farnsworth, Kenny
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2001
            Rodrigo,

            I have three more tips for you.

            1. Instead of letting go of the bar, fly the kite overhead where it
            generates less power. If you continue to feel out of control, harness into
            the trim loop and fly the kite gradually from side to side to keep it from
            luffing. This will depower the kite and allow the windsurfers to go by
            without the kite dragging you downwind. You will have to restart getting up
            on the board, but at least you won't have to relaunch your kite.

            2. Get rid of your stock Naish Bar and replace it with an AirRush Reride
            Bar or a Slingshot Bar. Both of those control bars have a hole on one end
            of the bar that allows the leader line to feed through when you let go of
            the bar. This is a superior safety system compared to the Naish system (I
            don't know if Naish has changed this feature on their 2001 control bars).
            The kite may still spin around once or twice before it hits the water, but
            much less spinning occurs compared to using the safety leash on the Naish
            Control bar.

            3. Try to kite surf away from windsurfers and other water users while you
            are still learning. I am glad that you are considerate of their safety.
            You do have the ability to really hurt somebody if you are not careful.