Re: [ksurfschool] Help - I'm confused !!!...

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
      Mark Frasier wrote:
      > on 2/1/01 1:53 PM, Hung Vu at hungvu@... wrote:
      >
      > > P.P.S. Even the largest Arc is only 8.4 m2 projected surface... Peter
      > > Lynn might have forgotten how to make bigger kites...
      > >
      > > Hung.
      >
      > I think he just forgot to mass produce them! He knows how to make them - the
      > Arc can be special ordered up to 30 sq m!!! for use in sailing boats.
      > Apparently the fabric they're made of can't hold together on a bigger kite
      > than 30m.

      So what "stop" Peter and the foil vendors from mass producing them
      (kites larger than 10m2 and smaller than 30 m2)?

      It's definitely not market demand as I and a number of people I have
      exchanged emails with (Stefano for example) have been looking in the
      last 2 years for 12+ m2 kites..... The only non-custom kite that
      currently may fit that description is the Wipika AirBlast 16.4 (the
      other big inflatables are OK too but they may not have high AR and the
      reverse relaunch capability - which are somewhat important in light
      wind).

      Ironically, in light wind, the inflatables are not as good as the foils
      but the foil vendors somewhat "reluctant" to claim that market and the
      inflatable vendors seem to be better marketeers.

      Hung.
    • Mark Frasier
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
          In a message dated 2/1/01 9:16:01 PM Pacific Standard Time, hungvu@...
          writes:

          << Even the largest Arc is only 8.4 m2 projected surface. >>

          My chart shows it's not even that big, (only 8.0). I think they revised the
          sizes recently to more accurately reflect the correct projected areas.