kite to use skiing?

  • Kitesurfgirl@cs.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
      Hi all~
      I'm going to go kite skiing for the first time this weekend. I am just
      considering which kite to bring, my inflatable, or my foil. Are there any
      advantages to an inflatable in the snow? It certainly doesn't need to float,
      and think of the time I will save if I don't need to pump up the kite! Yes!
      Thanks for the input~
    • Mark Frasier
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
        Hi J,

        A couple of people have said it's pretty tough to relaunch an inflatable, or
        even launch for that matter. You would get the normal benefits of a sled
        (trim control, mostly) but you might want to plan on having a helper to toss
        your kite up for you, and plan not to crash much! Generally I think (based
        on what people have said about sleds) that foils would be better, unless you
        have one of those new or modified sleds that can launch "in reverse" - that
        is, fly up off the ground trailing edge first. Plus, as you said, you don't
        have to deal with pumps, stiff valves, etc.

        Are both your kites the same size? If you're on hard snow you'll need a lot
        smaller kite than you use for kitesurfing.

        What part of the country are you skiing in? If you're around VT/NY I'll put
        you in touch with the guy that's running an F-One kiteskiing/snowboarding
        demo this w/e, and maybe see you there.

        Good luck,
        Mark Frasier

      • Kitesurfgirl@cs.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2001
          In a message dated 2/1/01 5:06:05 PM Mountain Standard Time,
          brockus@... writes:

[...]

          Hi Mark~
          Thanks so much for the good advice. Now I will at least have some sort of
          heads up when I try this tomorrow. Ü I only have one kite that is not an
          inflatable, a 4.4 ARC. Hopefully the wind will cooperate so I can use it!
          Otherwise I guess I will bring small inflatable as back up. Yes, I have
          three of the new 5 line Wipika kites ordered, which should launch in reverse.
          Can't wait to try them out...
          I am skiing in Salt Lake City, Utah. Quite a ways from New York, but thanks
          anyway! I hope all goes well for you this weekend.
          Have fun~
          Jacqueline