RE: [ksurfschool] Re: Day 2 on ARC 4.5 ("630")

  • Farnsworth, Kenny
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
      Chris,

      It is pretty close to a 9.5 Naish AR-5 (projected area 5.3).

      As far as wind range, don't ask Mel he is lighter than most of us. Mel, can
      almost cover the entire wind range with 2 or 3 kites. I use a quiver of 5
      to cover the same range. I weigh 175 LBS (80 kg).

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
        In a message dated 2/1/01 11:27:03 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        cglazier@... writes:

        << if you had to label
        your ARC 4.5 with a Naish/Wipika type of size, what size would it be? >>

        Short answer: Same as equal projected area (4.5 ARC "630" = 4.4 AR5 "7.5").

        Long answer: I have NO idea about the new Wipika sizing, but it seems to have
        very nearly the same low wind limit as an AR5 of the same specified projected
        area. Wipika has added confusion to the point where I question the accuracy
        of the projected area specs, & don't know if the ARX is measured the same as
        the AR5, but I'm very familiar with the power of the AR5 with 4.4 projected
        ("7.5 size"), & at the bottom end it's about the same as the ARC with 4.5
        projected ("630 size"). Way back in my log I just found:
        "...Fanatic 6'. ... Barely staying upwind working the 7.5 in 11mph avg."
        That's two mph less low end than the ARC, although that was with the stock
        fins, & I've been using a single 8.5" slotted Orca kite fin (like a sailboard
        wave fin), which feels a little less efficient than the 9.25" Curtis B&J
        sailboard fin I also use sometimes (which felt about the same as the stock
        fins). I guess I could switch back to the 9.25, since it does feel better,
        but I like the kelp-clearing of the more swept/raked 8.5, & with the slot
        it's got the same spinout resistance.

        Mel
      • kiteboard@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
          jeremybuzzard@... writes:

          << the left back line had snapped, >>

          What strength? The distributor & some group members say use 300lb on back,
          but the manual says use 600s all-around (so that's what I'm using, since I
          had them already on my bar!).

          << the safety leash slid out
          from the back line (the same one that snapped). >>

          That's a good point. If that happens to be the line that breaks, you now
          have no leash. That's a point in favor of the "two lines on one side" leash
          system.

          << dropping the bar on
          the beach... The kite propellered down to earth (ten more
          minutes working out tangles). >>

          Another point in favor of the 2-line leash (as you mention later).

          << I watched the kite
          drift back towards the centre of the wind window and made the
          decision that I was going to get hammered so I dropped the bar >>

          If you keep the front lines long enough while on land, you can oversheet &
          "brake" it so it doesn't move too fast up to the top, thereby safely reducing
          the power.

          << Very easy to launch downwind (at risk of a bit of a big drag) >>

          Same technique works there (keep the "brakes" on).

          << The safety system that is supplied with the kite and bar
          package is woefully inadequate... >>

          But anything that works with an inflatable sled will work fine.

          << - the kite can easily turn inside out a couple of times and I
          don't think I could even fly it with that much of a tangle (the friction
          would be huge) >>

          Line twists are less problem than one might think. I've flown my AR5 easily
          with several twists.

          << buy the twist grip bar - it sounds like a
          really good idea, and would make sheeting much easier.
          I am designing my own bar and line system for it - I want to have
          a sheeting system which can easily be released with one hand if
          I am overpowered - I will post it when I work out whether it works. >>

          I just used the same "MelMods" as on my AR5. I think they work even better
          on the ARC, since there seems to be even less need to hook into the rear
          lines (even less load than an AR5, even when underpowered & constantly
          sheeting in).