Re: [ksurfschool] Help - I'm confused !!!...

  • Mark Frasier
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
      on 2/1/01 1:53 PM, Hung Vu at hungvu@... wrote:

      > P.P.S. Even the largest Arc is only 8.4 m2 projected surface... Peter
      > Lynn might have forgotten how to make bigger kites...
      >
      > Hung.

      I think he just forgot to mass produce them! He knows how to make them - the
      Arc can be special ordered up to 30 sq m!!! for use in sailing boats.
      Apparently the fabric they're made of can't hold together on a bigger kite
      than 30m.

      Mark Frasier
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
        Mark Frasier wrote:
        > on 2/1/01 1:53 PM, Hung Vu at hungvu@... wrote:
        >
        > > P.P.S. Even the largest Arc is only 8.4 m2 projected surface... Peter
        > > Lynn might have forgotten how to make bigger kites...
        > >
        > > Hung.
        >
        > I think he just forgot to mass produce them! He knows how to make them - the
        > Arc can be special ordered up to 30 sq m!!! for use in sailing boats.
        > Apparently the fabric they're made of can't hold together on a bigger kite
        > than 30m.

        So what "stop" Peter and the foil vendors from mass producing them
        (kites larger than 10m2 and smaller than 30 m2)?

        It's definitely not market demand as I and a number of people I have
        exchanged emails with (Stefano for example) have been looking in the
        last 2 years for 12+ m2 kites..... The only non-custom kite that
        currently may fit that description is the Wipika AirBlast 16.4 (the
        other big inflatables are OK too but they may not have high AR and the
        reverse relaunch capability - which are somewhat important in light
        wind).

        Ironically, in light wind, the inflatables are not as good as the foils
        but the foil vendors somewhat "reluctant" to claim that market and the
        inflatable vendors seem to be better marketeers.

        Hung.
      • Mark Frasier
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
            In a message dated 2/1/01 9:16:01 PM Pacific Standard Time, hungvu@...
            writes:

            << Even the largest Arc is only 8.4 m2 projected surface. >>

            My chart shows it's not even that big, (only 8.0). I think they revised the
            sizes recently to more accurately reflect the correct projected areas.