Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Help - I'm confused !!!...

  • kiteboard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
      In a message dated 1/31/01 12:38:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      cglazier@... writes:

      << stability and relaunchability are more important to beginners >>

      That's why I think the ARC may be ideal. I haven't tested the
      relaunchability on water yet (although it's MUCH better than an inflatable
      sled on land - actually possible!) but all the reports are very favorable,
      and it's EXTREMELY stable (will any other kites hover with absolutely NO
      pilot input?), but still more maneuverable for its size than an AR5 (actually
      more maneuverable than an AR5 half its size!).

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
        For mostly 5-10 knots, sometimes 10-15 knots and 80-83 kg, it's best to
        start with a 7' directional board or 6' bidirectional board and a large
        Wipika kite that give you at least 8 m2 PROJECTED SURFACE (The Wipika
        FreeAir VARC 8.9 or 11.5 - not the old Free Air). When you get better
        you can add the Wipika Airblast 16.4 to your quiver. Voila, allez
        flysurf!

        P.S. Foils are much better for light wind; however, for some reasons,
        foils vendor "cannot" make foils bigger than 10 m2 and for your weight
        and light wind condition you cannot buy bigger kites if you go the foil
        route. Concept Air have been promising this 12 m2 New Wave for a while
        and you may want to check with them to see whether they have it. If
        this is the case, you can go for the New Wave 9.3 and then 12 later.

        P.P.S. Even the largest Arc is only 8.4 m2 projected surface... Peter
        Lynn might have forgotten how to make bigger kites...

        Hung.

        Buzz Robert A Bezzina wrote:

        > Hi Hung, Kenny and all the others on the ksurfschool e-group ...
        >
        > Have been following all the mails going back & forth with great
        > pleasure for quite a while now and would like to thank all you guys
        > for sharing the info ...
        >
        > I'm working & living here on Koh Samui (a small tropical island in
        > south Thailand) right on the beach, which gets pretty fickle wind (say
        > mostly 5-10 knots, very rarely 10-15) but really miss my wave-sailing
        > days back home on the North coast of NSW, Aussie (15-30kts).
        >
        > I've gotta get back on the water somehow and hoping kite-sailing is
        > the way to go. Despite reading heaps of good advice from all of you,
        > I'm still confused as to what I should get as my first couple of kites
        > to learn on (I know I'll probably trash 'em).
        >
        > Was thinking of getting a smaller Naish (AR3.5 or AR5) to learn on
        > initially, then using a bigger one (13.0m or larger) after I get the
        > hang of it .... then again, I read a good e-mail about a Concept New
        > Wave so don't know what to go for ... I know an instruction video will
        > be a must as there is no-one here at all who knows anything about
        > kite-sailing ...
        >
        > I'm 80-83kg's and think I'm pretty fit for a forty year old ! haha...
        >
        > Willing to give it a go though ... any advice would be muchly
        > appreciated !
        >
        > Thanx in advance,
        >
        > Buzz.
        >

        > >From: Hung Vu
        > >To: kitesurf@egroups.com, ksurfschool@egroups.com,
        > cankitesurf@egroups.com
        > >Subject: [ksurfschool] "Official" URL to the Kitesurfing School web
        > site
        > >Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 23:09:29 -0500
        > >
        > >It has been brought to my attention that some of the "pseudo" links
        > >the Kitesurfing School web site are not working anymore (due to the
        > >forward/reverse DNS mapping if you know what that means). I you have
        > >any link to the Kitesurfing School web site, please change it to the
        > >"official" URL:
        > >
        > > http://www.netcom.ca/~hungvu/kitesurfing.htm
        > >or
        > > http://www.attcanada.ca/~hungvu/kitesurfing.htm
        > >
        > >Should I starting paying more money to put the site to a more
        > >"permanent" location or what ???
        > >
        > >Regards,
        > >
        > >Hung.

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > [Image]
        > [Image]
        > www.

      • Mark Frasier
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
          on 2/1/01 1:53 PM, Hung Vu at hungvu@... wrote:

          > P.P.S. Even the largest Arc is only 8.4 m2 projected surface... Peter
          > Lynn might have forgotten how to make bigger kites...
          >
          > Hung.

          I think he just forgot to mass produce them! He knows how to make them - the
          Arc can be special ordered up to 30 sq m!!! for use in sailing boats.
          Apparently the fabric they're made of can't hold together on a bigger kite
          than 30m.

          Mark Frasier
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
            Mark Frasier wrote:
            > on 2/1/01 1:53 PM, Hung Vu at hungvu@... wrote:
            >
            > > P.P.S. Even the largest Arc is only 8.4 m2 projected surface... Peter
            > > Lynn might have forgotten how to make bigger kites...
            > >
            > > Hung.
            >
            > I think he just forgot to mass produce them! He knows how to make them - the
            > Arc can be special ordered up to 30 sq m!!! for use in sailing boats.
            > Apparently the fabric they're made of can't hold together on a bigger kite
            > than 30m.

            So what "stop" Peter and the foil vendors from mass producing them
            (kites larger than 10m2 and smaller than 30 m2)?

            It's definitely not market demand as I and a number of people I have
            exchanged emails with (Stefano for example) have been looking in the
            last 2 years for 12+ m2 kites..... The only non-custom kite that
            currently may fit that description is the Wipika AirBlast 16.4 (the
            other big inflatables are OK too but they may not have high AR and the
            reverse relaunch capability - which are somewhat important in light
            wind).

            Ironically, in light wind, the inflatables are not as good as the foils
            but the foil vendors somewhat "reluctant" to claim that market and the
            inflatable vendors seem to be better marketeers.

            Hung.
          • Mark Frasier
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
                In a message dated 2/1/01 9:16:01 PM Pacific Standard Time, hungvu@...
                writes:

                << Even the largest Arc is only 8.4 m2 projected surface. >>

                My chart shows it's not even that big, (only 8.0). I think they revised the
                sizes recently to more accurately reflect the correct projected areas.