Re: [ksurfschool] Day 2 on ARC 4.5 ("630")

  • kiteboard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
      In a message dated 1/31/01 12:04:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      hungvu@... writes:

      << Doesn't the ARC has a inflation zipper or velcro that you can open to
      let the kite pre-inflate while laying it down trailing edge to the wind
      (like the Jojo Wet or the New Wave)? >>

      Yes, it does (Velcro), & I had let it pre-inflate through that opening as
      much as it would in the light winds, but when pulling the front lines to
      continue inflating, it pulled out from under the sand on one side, & folded
      in half. It probably would work with enough sand, & has the advantage of
      easy untwisting of the lines (compared to sanding only one tip), but line
      twisting should be unimportant, with solo downwind landings. Remember how
      easy it was with a 2-line sled? Just sand the tip, unwind the lines, pull a
      bit, spin the bar until the lines aren't twisted, & go!

      << It's rather clumsy to attach the board leash to your ankle, it's better
      to have a metal ring attached to you harness >>

      Absolutely!! I've always used a harness-attached boardleash, & that's why I
      could attach it after launching the kite (& the reason I commented it would
      be much harder with an ankle attachment).

      << and attach a marine
      carabiner (spelling?) to your board leash. >>

      I prefer to put the carabiner on the harness, so it doesn't whip around &
      chip the board (although I guess it could chip the board if you're carrying
      it against that side of your harness). The new DaKine leashes have a clip on
      the end, that's supposed to clip to the D-ring on the included ankle leash,
      or on their new harnesses*, but it clips directly to the slot in the end of a
      Reactor or standard spreader bar!
      *Today, DaKine said the Fusion & Pyro should be available in about 2 weeks.

      Mel
    • cglazier@home.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
        A lot of us a following your reports on the ARC with interest. I know
        that you haven't fully tested the wind range, but if you had to label
        your ARC 4.5 with a Naish/Wipika type of size, what size would it be?
        Chris

        --- In ksurfschool@y..., kiteboard@a... wrote:
        > Day 132. 1/30/1 ~1.5hrs. (new total 5 hrs on 4.5 ARC)
        >
        > First day with ARC at gusty Cabrillo. I guess I didn't sand the TE
        enough
        > for my attempt at downwind launching (before inflating enough it
        pulled out
      • Farnsworth, Kenny
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
          Chris,

          It is pretty close to a 9.5 Naish AR-5 (projected area 5.3).

          As far as wind range, don't ask Mel he is lighter than most of us. Mel, can
          almost cover the entire wind range with 2 or 3 kites. I use a quiver of 5
          to cover the same range. I weigh 175 LBS (80 kg).

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
            In a message dated 2/1/01 11:27:03 AM Pacific Standard Time,
            cglazier@... writes:

            << if you had to label
            your ARC 4.5 with a Naish/Wipika type of size, what size would it be? >>

            Short answer: Same as equal projected area (4.5 ARC "630" = 4.4 AR5 "7.5").

            Long answer: I have NO idea about the new Wipika sizing, but it seems to have
            very nearly the same low wind limit as an AR5 of the same specified projected
            area. Wipika has added confusion to the point where I question the accuracy
            of the projected area specs, & don't know if the ARX is measured the same as
            the AR5, but I'm very familiar with the power of the AR5 with 4.4 projected
            ("7.5 size"), & at the bottom end it's about the same as the ARC with 4.5
            projected ("630 size"). Way back in my log I just found:
            "...Fanatic 6'. ... Barely staying upwind working the 7.5 in 11mph avg."
            That's two mph less low end than the ARC, although that was with the stock
            fins, & I've been using a single 8.5" slotted Orca kite fin (like a sailboard
            wave fin), which feels a little less efficient than the 9.25" Curtis B&J
            sailboard fin I also use sometimes (which felt about the same as the stock
            fins). I guess I could switch back to the 9.25, since it does feel better,
            but I like the kelp-clearing of the more swept/raked 8.5, & with the slot
            it's got the same spinout resistance.

            Mel
          • kiteboard@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
              jeremybuzzard@... writes:

              << the left back line had snapped, >>

              What strength? The distributor & some group members say use 300lb on back,
              but the manual says use 600s all-around (so that's what I'm using, since I
              had them already on my bar!).

              << the safety leash slid out
              from the back line (the same one that snapped). >>

              That's a good point. If that happens to be the line that breaks, you now
              have no leash. That's a point in favor of the "two lines on one side" leash
              system.

              << dropping the bar on
              the beach... The kite propellered down to earth (ten more
              minutes working out tangles). >>

              Another point in favor of the 2-line leash (as you mention later).

              << I watched the kite
              drift back towards the centre of the wind window and made the
              decision that I was going to get hammered so I dropped the bar >>

              If you keep the front lines long enough while on land, you can oversheet &
              "brake" it so it doesn't move too fast up to the top, thereby safely reducing
              the power.

              << Very easy to launch downwind (at risk of a bit of a big drag) >>

              Same technique works there (keep the "brakes" on).

              << The safety system that is supplied with the kite and bar
              package is woefully inadequate... >>

              But anything that works with an inflatable sled will work fine.

              << - the kite can easily turn inside out a couple of times and I
              don't think I could even fly it with that much of a tangle (the friction
              would be huge) >>

              Line twists are less problem than one might think. I've flown my AR5 easily
              with several twists.

              << buy the twist grip bar - it sounds like a
              really good idea, and would make sheeting much easier.
              I am designing my own bar and line system for it - I want to have
              a sheeting system which can easily be released with one hand if
              I am overpowered - I will post it when I work out whether it works. >>

              I just used the same "MelMods" as on my AR5. I think they work even better
              on the ARC, since there seems to be even less need to hook into the rear
              lines (even less load than an AR5, even when underpowered & constantly
              sheeting in).