Naish AR5 crossing lines DANGEROUS

  • herrerav@fibertel.com.ar
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2001
      When you let go of the Naish AR5 or I suppose it can happen to any
      four line kite. The bar goes to the water, you're still hanging on by
      the safety leash and when you get the bar back, somehow one of the
      outer lines crosses with the inner line. Probably, while in the water
      one of the bar tips goes in between one outside line and one inner
      line and spins all the way through.
      It happenned to me last saturday and I only noticed after I had
      already miraculously relaunched the kite. Suddenly the kite started
      diving BEHIND ME so I pullled on one of the sides and it took me
      flying for about 60 feet before I unhooked the harness (FROM THE
      BRAKE LINES!!)and let go of the bar. Luckily nothing happened, but
      the same thing happened to a friend the next day and he got 10
      stitches on top of his head after being hit by the board.

      So we concluded that the kite becomes very dangerous when one of the
      outside (back) lines is crossed with one of the middle (front) lines.

      Has anybody had this problem?
      Does anyone know a quick way to figure out in which direction the
      damn thing is tangled so one can untangle before relaunching?

      Thanks
    • kiteboard@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 27, 2001
        In a message dated 1/27/01 4:17:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        herrerav@... writes:

        << I only noticed after I had
        already miraculously relaunched the kite. >>

        Relaunching an AR5 is far from "miraculous". In fact it's pretty much
        expected. Mine has ALWAYS relaunched, except the time my 1st generation
        wrist strap failed (Naish supplies free upgrades, but I just attach it to my
        harness now).

        << Suddenly the kite started
        diving BEHIND ME >>

        I don't understand this, unless you mean you were facing into the wind!

        << so I pullled on one of the sides and it took me
        flying for about 60 feet before I unhooked the harness (FROM THE
        BRAKE LINES!!) >>

        Why are you emphasizing "BRAKE LINES!!" ? Aside from the fact there are no
        brakes on a Naish, the regular harness loop always connects you to the BACK
        lines AND the trim loop always connects you to the fronts.

        << the same thing happened to a friend the next day and he got 10
        stitches on top of his head after being hit by the board. >>

        May I suggest a helmet?

        << So we concluded that the kite becomes very dangerous when one of the
        outside (back) lines is crossed with one of the middle (front) lines.

        Has anybody had this problem? >>

        I've had that happen nearly every time I've ever released the bar completely,
        however it has never posed a problem. It works fine, it only irritates me
        since I like the lines perfectly straight. The only problem was once when
        the left rear control line got hung up on the lower (big) knot where the
        leash & leader are tied together. That was fairly easy to straighten out
        with the kite back on the water.

        << Does anyone know a quick way to figure out in which direction the
        damn thing is tangled so one can untangle before relaunching? >>

        I think that's pretty much impossible. I tried to do that once (since it was
        bothering me after they twisted) & just gave up & kept riding instead.