5315Re: [ksurfschool] Are new flat LEIs worth it?

  • George Sarris
    Mar 3, 2006
      Hung,
      Could perhaps the inverting be controlled by adding a
      few more bridle lines that attach to points not on the
      leading edge of the kite such as that of a foil? I've
      never heard of a foil kite inverting, but I've not
      read much about foils. In rating foils versus bow
      kites, which would your recommend? I may try a foil
      if the bow kite prices stay high (Flysurfer versus
      Cabrinha Xbow).
      Thanks,
      George

      http://kitesurfingschool.org/kite.htm#Kite%20Design%20Fundamentals

      > (heavy duty reading)
      >
      > Hung.
      >
      > George Sarris wrote:
      >
      > >Although I do not own a flat LEI (bow kite) I have
      > >read forums regarding the kite inverting.
      > Supposedly
      > >after that happens, there is little control in
      > >depowering. I plan to buy a flat LEI bow kite by
      > late
      > >spring if the prices come down to what I would
      > >consider reasonable. The prices for a Cabrinha
      > Xbow
      > >16m are around $1700 complete. I would consider
      > >purchasing one if the price was around $1200-$1300.
      > >
      > >George
      > >
      > >--- hungvu2000@... wrote:
      > >
      > > > Having used a new flat LEI in the last couple
      > weeks
      > > > on snow, my response
      > > > is a definite yes for snow (assuming that all
      > flat
      > > > LEIs are somewhat
      > > > similar).
      > > >
      > > > So far, there are almost no negative things
      > about
      > > > the flat LEI kite I used.
      > > >
      > > > The positive things are:
      > > > - Depower: boy, can these flat kite ever
      > > > DEpower. I've never had to
      > > > use the safety leash and wonder whether you need
      > it.
      > > > There was a time I
      > > > crash landed and the bar got off my hand, the
      > kite
      > > > lost control and shot
      > > > across the wind window. I was not dragged
      > around at
      > > > all for that.
      > > > - Relaunch on snow: even better than foil.
      > You
      > > > just let go off the
      > > > bar and the kite will slowly drop and hover at
      > the
      > > > window edge waiting
      > > > for relaunch. When you relaunch, it goes up
      > slowly
      > > > and not dragging you
      > > > around like foil.
      > > > - Less kite to carry around: A single 9m
      > feels
      > > > like a 8m/10m combo
      > > > (or even a 7m/11m combo). Two kite quiver is
      > now
      > > > possible. For me
      > > > probably a 9 and a 15 flat LEI.
      > > >
      > > > Jumping is very good and hang time is excellent.
      > > > The condition have
      > > > never been ideal so I did not have a chance to
      > "take
      > > > it to the limit";
      > > > however, I would think its "take it to the
      > limit"
      > > > jumping and hang time
      > > > performance would be better if not the same as
      > the
      > > > traditional LEIs.
      > > >
      > > > I will know more about it on water in spring.
      > > >
      > > > Hung.

      > > > removed]

      > protection around
      > >http://mail.yahoo.com
      > >

      > >If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit
> [...]
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic