5105Re: [ksurfschool] Digest Number 1193

  • Kitepower (Sydney)
    Jan 14, 2005
      Hi Chris
      I have been involved in teraching people to fly kites and kitesurfing instruction for around 12 years, I have never heard of positive or negative steering?
      What do you mean by this?
      Did someone teach you about positive or negative steering?

      I suspect that your terminology is out of whack with what is commonly used, thats all.

      Most people refer to pulling the bar towards you as sheeting in, and pushing it away as sheeting out. This is not steering the kite though it is just adjusting the kites angle of attack by altering the relative lengths of the front to rear lines.

      You are not really "Bringing the kite backwards" either, unless the kite is so baldy tuned that you can actually fly it backwards?

      As George said, pull in on the bar as the kite flies towards the water or down, then release that pressure just before the bottom of the down stroke and turn the kite upwards, tightly, and then push the bar away until the kite is accelerating upwards, as it speeds up you can pull back on the bar a bit more, getting ready to turn the kite tightly to make another downstroke.

      Point the board downwind until you are fully planing

      Practice going out in a bit more wind?

      www.kitepower.com.au