5087Re: Sharing Kites

  • kitesurfr
    Dec 31, 2004
      Brian & Kimberly,

      I would also like to add the value of getting a trainer kite slightly
      larger, 3.6 sq. meters and being able to have a snow kite as well as
      a really nice fun trainer kite. 3.5 sq. meters will have more
      feedback(pull) and be perfect for doing training exercises. Most
      people have the mind set that a trainer kite is simply to teach you
      to fly the kite, but it has much more value than this.. You can do
      simulated riding exercises and simulated water start exercises on
      land with the kite to learn the dynamics of changing the power
      strokes of the kite and much more!!

      I highly suggest the Ballistic 3.6 quad line kite:
      http://www.4kiteboarding.com/trainkitpac.html There are also
      exercises on this page to practice with the trainer kite. In
      Michigan, I am assuming you have a great snow season and can use this
      kite for Snow Kiting in the winter!!

      You should get two kiteboarding kites as you will never be competing
      for the same kite size. Your 12.0 kite will become his high wind
      kite when you are overpowered, etc.

      Chris M. Moore
      Kitty Hawk Kites Kiteboarding Centers
      PASA examiner

      > Hi There
      > My husband and I are considering taking up this exciting newer
      > but we have a few questions. First of all we live in Michigan on a
      > decent sized inland lake. Both of us have experience w/
      > Here are my questions...
      > 1. Can we share a kite? There is about a 70lb differnce in weight
      > 6" difference in height between the 2 of us. We were told to get a
      > 12m kite for me and a 14m kite for him- can we just get a 14m kite
      > and I can use it at a shorter line length?
      > 2. He has experience flying double handled kites, and is pretty
      > at it. I have never flown a kite before. Is it totally necessary to
      > buy a trainer kite? If so, will we ever use it again after learning
      > the art of being out on the water w/ the real equipment?
      > 3. We live in Michigan and are going to be traveling to South
      > Texas in February where we are planning on trying the sport for the
      > first time. We want to take lessons- any suggestions on good but
      > affordable instructors or schools down there?
      > Thanks so much!
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic