4923Re: Large bidirectional .vs. diretional for light wind

  • hungvuatnetcomdotca
    Jul 18, 2004
      George,

      I came back to the same beach where I started (actually a few meters
      downwind but just because I wanted to avoid the crowd).

      Going upwind and jumping was not an issue at the upper range of the
      wind 9-10 knots. There were times when I was way upwind of the
      launching spot.

      At the lower range of the wind 7-8 knots, I can still somewhat keeping
      not to loose ground.

      You may want to consider adding another 10m to your 21.5m and see the
      differences. Personally, I think all 20m+ kites should be flown with
      40 to 45m lines (buy 2 x 20m or a 20m and a 25m then connect them
      together).

      At 11-12 knots, I start using my 12m so the "kite size is proportional
      to rider's weight" rule is still somewhat valid.

      P.S., Regarding age, as most don't know my real age, they DO think
      that I am 21 - I was frequently asked for ID at the liquor stores in
      Florida ;-)

      P.P.S., The "REAL" purpose of the original post was to encourage the
      "never has and probably never will ride a directional" kiter to get
      into light wind kiting as large bidirectionals also work well in light
      wind...

      Hung.

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic