4892Re: Waist harness fit and bar size?

  • ex_cpe
    Jul 9, 2004
      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jjscanlon13@h...> wrote:
      > Aloha,
      >
      > Have some questions on waist harnesses and pads? First should the
      > pad size match the bar size? It seems that a 10" bar with a 10" pad
      > needs some adjustments when donning the harness, like the pad is
      > to long.

      .....I have the DaKine PYRO and it is a combo of 9"/23cm bar with 10"/25.5cm pad, and it
      seems fine - but then I've never had something to directly compare it to.. The harness is a
      Medium and I'm a 34"/86cm - also seems fine, when you'd expect I'd need a large. The
      sizes seem pretty pasta forgivable. (I have an XL PYRO for sale - complete with
      hammerhead bar and pad: $75...as new condition.)

      > Second, I have been noticing in photos that some riders wear their
      > harness pretty high below the chest such as the photo of
      > Ben Meyer in Kiteworld issue 09 while others wear around the waist?
      > Is this just personal preference for different riders or is there
      > something else going on here that I am missing?

      ......I suspect you are seeing the difference between the start of a session and the end of
      one, or light air vs. heavy air. I really wrench the thing on my waist, and in heavy air the
      hook ends up at nipple level. If I know it will be heavier air all day, then I use a seat
      harness.

      Most people here are switching to seat as they feel both their ribs and backs are suffering
      from too much kiting in a waist harness.

      The most important piece of gear I have is a helmet.

      Jim
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic