4782Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Severe accident at Eckwarden

  • jakob Thegerström
    Mar 29, 2004
      Steve, I completely agree with you. One should avoid
      gusty winds. However where I live the winds are nearly
      always more or less gusty :( ... The situation I'm
      avoiding is to go out overpower + gusty winds.
      I guess that most new 2004 kites got better stability
      and depower. The fact that the depower range increases
      is probably both good and bad. With a hudge depower
      you feel very secure when kiting in strong winds and
      that could lead to mistakes / bad judgments.

      /Jakob

      --- "Kite Power (Sydney)" <sydney@...>
      skrev:
      ---------------------------------
      I have 12 years expereince with power kiting, I have
      travelled more than 15,00klms in my buggy, and I have
      kitesurfed for 6 years, my experience is that in
      extremely gusty winds, you should stay home.
      Conditions like you describe are dangerous to kite in,
      and all foils I have ever flown will misbehave in
      winds like that, and inflatos will too.
      The newer 2004 inflatos do handle a lot better than
      pre 2002 kites, as do foils.
      The number one reason for being lofted in these
      conditions is keeping the kite overhead, keep the kite
      below 11 o'clock, as we say keep it low and go!
      www.kitepower.com.au