4740Re: [ksurfschool] Understanding how a kite is depowered by releasing the bar

  • George Sarris
    Feb 28 3:57 PM
      Pushing the bar away from you(releasing it without
      dropping it)without being hooked into the chicken loop
      does nothing to depower the kite. Both front and rear
      lines stay the same length and the angle of attack of
      the kite stays the same. The only way I know to
      depower a 4 line LEI kite is while hooked into the
      chicken loop and releasing/pushing the bar out away
      from you. Like you said below it lets the back lines
      of the kite out changing the angle of attack and
      spilling wind thus depowering. The amount of depower
      is determined by the adjustment on the chicken loop
      which controls the length of the front lines. You can
      depower all the way until the back lines are slack but
      you then lose steering ability. This may be ok while
      you are getting ready to launch for a few seconds, but
      will be a problem when riding if you need to depower.
      You should adjust the chicken loop to depower enough
      so that you can still steer the kite. Also,
      depowering the kite allows it to fly more into the
      wind and faster as well, so you definitely want to
      retain steering ability.

      Hope this helps.

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic