4738Understanding how a kite is depowered by releasing the bar

  • wvc304
    Feb 27, 2004
      I am new to kiteboarding, awaiting better weather for lessons,
      and have a question about depowering a kite after reading about the
      subject.

      If a rider is not hooked into the Chicken Loop and he releases
      his bar out,(without dropping it),would that depower the kite?

      As I understand it, if a rider was hooked into the Chicken loop
      and he extended his bar out,(without dropping it),that would depower
      the kite. The reason, as I understand it, is that releasing the bar
      would release the back lines,(the front lines remaining in the same
      relative position as before the bar was released because the Chicken
      Loop would be holding them in place). Then with the rear lines
      extended, the wind wind would spill out of the back of the kite
      somewhat similar to releasing a sail on a sailboat and spilling the
      wind out of it. In addition, under that set of facts the "angle of
      attack" of the kite relative to the wind would change because the
      back lines were extended and the front lines remained in the same
      general position.

      However, if the rider was not hooked into the Chicken Loop and
      he extended his bar out,(without dropping it),then both sets of lines,
      (front & back), would be released relatively the same distance. In
      that case, wouldn't both sets of lines remain in the same relative
      position in relation to each other? If so, then how would the
      kite "spill wind" and depower? In the alternative, how would
      the "angle of attack" of the kite relative to the wind change since
      the front and back lines are still in the same relative position to
      one another, even though both sets on lines had been "extended out"
      when the rider extended out his bar? Am I thinking about this in the
      proper context or is there a better explanation?

      Thank you
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic