4197Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Kite for newbie

  • Kite Power (Sydney)
    May 24, 2003
      G'day Ted
      - i.e. 8-18 knots (if a kite will span that) - not Maui :(.
      Many 16.0/18.0M inflatable kites will give you this wind range

      I started with a 7.3M Frenzy, but didn't really crack landboarding
      with it because I needed 14 knots before I could get going. In
      those winds the kite was all over the sky and I only ever got got
      the hang of it when (with knocking knees) I test drove the 12m
      Frenzy. Suddenly I was able to landboard and went out and
      bought the 9.5m straightaway. Things just happened more
      slowly and predictably with those bigger kites which
      paradoxically meant they were easier to learn to board on -
      providing I chose light wind days.

      Question 1: Is this likely to be the same scenario for learning
      with my first LEI?

      So you learned that a certain minimum kite power is needed to actually "do" each sport properly. The amount of power does intimidate people at first, but you get used to it. Getting used to it can lead some people to do dangerous things, mainly due the their inexperience/ignorance of the danger, but it sounds like you are take a more measured approach?

      I agree with Hink that a larger LEI around 16m would give me the
      option of switching to my 9.5m Frenzy when the wind went above,
      say 15knots. I do appreciate the concern of others about not
      getting in over my head with a large first LEI. So I'd like to hear
      more from those kind peeps.

      Its more about not wasting money getting 2 kites that have too much overlap in wind range. You already have a large amount of kte flying experience.

      Question 2: Perhaps these folks are lighter than me - or fly in
      conditions starting at 14 knots? I'm curious.

      Some people will only kiteboard when the wind is strong enough to jump reasonabley high, others will go out with a mal surfboard, 16.0 inflato, when the wind is 5/6knots, there is no rule book about what is fun............is there?

      Question 3: I'd like my first LEI to be suitable for 8-15 knots
      kitesurfing and one that could take me to an intermediate level
      with medium floaty jumps. Given all this - I'd appreciate opinions
      on specific kite and board sizes for my situation? Anymore ideas
      on the 16.5m Takoon?

      Don't know about the new Takoons, but they were very similar to Wipika Airblasts, and GRK kites.
      Any of the new 2002/2003 kites in the 15.0 to 18.0 sizes will do what you want, especially, naish aero 2, naish X3 and X2, North Rhino1 and 2, F-One Mach 1 18.1, and mach 2 16.0, Flexifoil Storm 1, 16.0 Storm2 16.0/18, etc

      http://www.kitepower.com.au