4052Re: WARNING TO SNAP SHACKLE USERS!!!

  • Rick Iossi
    Jan 24, 2003
      Good point Hung. The added wind range that the chicken loop allows you to
      handle does up the anty for misfortune as compared to going with a kite with
      no depower capacity, two line or four line without/chicken loop. With no
      chicken loop the main factors that allow you to increase your wind range
      with a given kite size are skill, line length and board size. Permanently
      connecting to a traction kite is always a serious decision only more so near
      hard objects. I concluded about two years ago that in doing so I could be
      seriously injured as a consequence.

      In the case of avoiding the chicken loop, I would still advise having some
      form of mechanical release for the main harness line. Ideally, this would be
      a reliable pin release on the harness line. About three years ago this month
      I treated myself to at least a 100 ft. high speed dragging across sand with
      a FIVE SQ. METER Wipika Classic. I couldn't unhook at one point aside from
      which the early depowering leash design had tied into a tight knot by the
      dragging. I didn't appreciate the significance of kiteboarding in unstable
      weather in those early days. I do NOW!

      Anyway, having an option to manually unhooking from the fixed harness line
      such as an integrated pin quick release would be worth considering.

      FKA, Inc.

      transcribed by:
      Rick Iossi