4047Re: WARNING TO SNAP SHACKLE USERS!!!

  • flkitesurfer <flkitesurfer@hotmail.com>
    Jan 24, 2003
      Hello George,

      Please check with your local kiteboarding gear retailer to see if he
      has one. NSI, Kitehigh.com, Murrays.com and many other sources have
      these modified "trigger" shackles available. I M P O R T A N T :
      Make sure that the Wichard or Tylaska shackle has been modified to
      facilitate release. Some prefer a cord and knob others prefer the
      kind with a metal bold and two knobs on either side of the shackle.
      Using the shackle as it comes from the manufacturer for yachting
      applications is NOT ACCEPTABLE. A modification to facilitate
      release MUST BE DONE kiteboarding.

      Also, if it hasn't been obvious to this point, there are no perfect
      solutions at this point. All the quick release options that I am
      aware of have their own issues. The side release shackles may not
      release at all under certain circumstances. The Wichards and
      Tylaskas may release too easily and prematurely. If I had to choose
      between no release or premature release I think I would go with the
      later option in kiteboarding. The pin quick releases may bend or
      require excessive force to release, etc. As with many other aspects
      of kiteboarding, the rider needs to inspect, test and carefully
      maintain things himself. Talking about your experiences and
      observations in these Internet forums will spread the value of what
      you have learned to others.

      FKA, Inc.

      transcribed by:
      Rick Iossi
      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris
      <jakefarley2000@y...> wrote:
      > Where can one purchase the proper quick release? I
      > currently use a snap shackle with a ring but after
      > what I read, I want to switch to something more
      > reliable.
      >
      > George
      > --- Christopher Gaskins <gaskins@m...>
      > wrote:
      > > Rick,
      > >
      > > I really, really appreciate the accident reports.
      > > However, I am frustrated
      > > by the fact that the report is distributed in
      > > Acrobat PDF format with
      > > *printing restrictions*. I want to read the entire
      > > 50-60+ page report, but
      > > not on my screen, so the service is working against
      > > itself in terms of
      > > maximizing the benefit of the report to the
      > > community. Is there anything
      > > that can be done about this? Why is it copyrighted
      > > material with
      > > restriction on the reproduction? I care deeply about
      > > this sport and value
      > > tremendously the effort that is put into the
      > > accident report. I just want
      > > to see the benefit of the report maximized...
      > >
      > > Chris
      > >

      > > >There has been another serious accident.
      > > Reportedly the failure of an
      > > >improperly rigged snap shackle to release was a key
      > > factor in the accident.
      > > >If a snap shackle is used in lieu of a Quick
      > > Release, it must be properly
      > > >rigged, maintained and tested to improve the odds
      > > that it will release when
      > > >needed. Accidents will happen in kiteboarding it
      > > would be good to try to
      > > >reduce the quantity of avoidable ones. More about
      > > this at:
      > > >

      > ><http://www.kiteforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?
      topic=5202&forum=1&0>http://www.kiteforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?
      topic=5202&forum=1&0