38[ksurfschool] Re: Kite size?

  • Just Al.
    Jan 12, 2000
      What do you mean, too cold for water sports...I was out windsurfing
      yesterday in North Wales....I've had to break the ice to go wondsurfing in
      lakes before now!!!
      I was also teaching a beginner to windsurf yesterday (although, he did go
      a bit blue after a while!), and helping a friend tune a new kite that he'd
      received (Spider Modulus 38)...Not that I really know what I'm doing, as
      I've only just got into kiting myself.
      Just before Xmas I bought a 2.8m Predator Mk II. Flying it (despite having
      no previous kite flying experience) was a doddle. I've now progressed onto
      using it as a traction engine for a mountain board on the sands. I'm hoping
      that the skills learnt doing this will be transferrable to
      kite-surfing...Has anyone else here used mountain boards as a learning or
      practice platform for kite-surfing??...How transferrable are the skills?

      Also,...Line Lengths. I've noticed that kite-surfers tend to use much
      longer (30-40m) lines than people use in other kite traction activities
      (20-30m)...How much difference do longer lines actually make? i.e. My
      Predator 2.8m produces enough power for me at the moment in 15kts of wind
      with 75ft lines.If I used 100ft lines in 10kts, would it produce a similar
      amount of power???

      Cheers,
      Al.

      06:02 PM 1/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
      >Thanks for the kind thoughts, but!!!!!!! We no longer have winter! haven't
      >had for 3 or 4 years! It's too cold for water sports to be pleasant and too
      >warm for snow and ice. I've got the spring bulbs and flowers coming up!
      >EERRGGFRGGHH!
      >Dave

      Alan R. Cole
      Postgraduate Research Student
      Institute of Geography and Earth Studies
      University of Wales
      Aberystwyth
      Ceredigion
      SY23 3DB