3637Re: [ksurfschool] Digest Number 679

  • Thomas George DeMille
    Aug 3 7:57 AM
      The reason I ask about dragging upwind is because I have been reading incident reports, and many
      of them involve "board meets head". I hear that once you can drag upwind it is a good idea to NOT
      use a leash.

      Steve, in your opinion would it be possible to go upwind with a wipika free air 8.9 rigged 2 line?
      I think the answer is probably no, reading your previous post. What about if I rig it 4 line?

      Thanks for all the info!

      -=tgd=-

      --- ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > There are 5 messages in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. How about... upwind body dragging?
      > From: "tdemille" <tdemille@...>
      > 2. Re: How about... upwind body dragging?
      > From: Denisesewa@...
      > 3. RE: How about... upwind body dragging?
      > From: "Kitepower" <sydney@...>
      > 4. Re: How about... upwind body dragging?
      > From: Denisesewa@...
      > 5. RE: How about... upwind body dragging?
      > From: "Kitepower" <sydney@...>

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 01:32:24 -0000
      > From: "tdemille" <tdemille@...>
      > Subject: How about... upwind body dragging?
      >
      > Anyone got any hints for this? I hear its a good skill to practice
      > before you even try the board. I have a whole weekend on Martha's
      > Vineyard with just me and my kite, no board...

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 22:35:23 EDT
      > From: Denisesewa@...
      > Subject: Re: How about... upwind body dragging?
      >
      > In a message dated 8/2/2002 6:33:28 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
      > tdemille@... writes:
      >

      > > Anyone got any hints for this? I hear its a good skill to practice
      > > before you even try the board. I have a whole weekend on Martha's
      > > Vineyard with just me and my kite, no board...
      > >

      > The body draggin I've done has resulted in a broad reach at best and I'm
      > sure my downwind progress was more than it felt like, I dont believe its
      > possible to drag upwind without the edge of the board redirecting your
      > momentum,you are kinda like a sailbout without a keel, no lateral resistance
      > = downwind you go!!
      > Good luck, whatever you do, be safe and have fun!!
      > Denise
      > http://hometown.aol.com/denisesewa/index.html

      > Message: 3
      > Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 13:20:22 +1000
      > From: "Kitepower" <sydney@...>
      > Subject: RE: How about... upwind body dragging?
      >
      > You absolutely can body drag upwind, we teach people to do it in our school.
      > I have done it numerous times.
      > Every experienced kiteboarder should be able to do it too.
      > But there are some conditions
      > You can only do it with inflatables, arcs, and flysurfers and similar foils
      > Basically you can only do it with kites that you can change the angle of
      > attack on, 4 lined inflato's, arcs, and variable AOA foils like flysurfers.
      > You must be powered up, it is impossible to body drag upwind when
      > underpowered.
      > You need to sheet out as far as possible and keep your body straight as
      > possible, steering with one arm and extending the other.
      > You must practice it, to learn how to do it.
      >
      > Cya and
      > Goodwinds
      > Steve McCormack
      > http://www.kitepower.com.au