3409Re: Q power line strength?

  • fernmanus
    Jun 11 3:16 PM
      Brain lapse on my part. I use figure 8 knots all the time. I have
      had them on a set of Q lines for two seasons. I did have one line
      break at the knot after about 8 months, but I can tell you that the
      Q line in figure 8 knots is stronger than some of the pigtails on my
      kites. I have had to replace a fair number of those (I replaced
      them with Q line with figure 8 knots). I haven't tried bowlines
      using the Q line, but I do use the bowline knot on my leader for the
      chicken loop.

      If you are lengthening the lines on a temporary basis, use figure 8
      knots. If it is a permanent change, use the double surgeon. The
      double surgeon knot is also great for connecting two lines that are
      of different diameters. For example. I use a double surgeon knot
      to connect a 1/4" leader line for my chicken loop to a 1/8 inch line
      for the center leader.

      Kenny

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
      > I use figure-8 knots all the time in Q-Power line. They are
      supposed to
      > weaken the line the least of any knot. I've even used bowlines
      (since
      > they're SO easy to adjust, even after full loading) which are
      supposed to be
      > weaker.
      >
      > There's a photo of a figure-8 in my group file folder, under
      MelMods, in a
      > folder called "Mounting Methods".
      >
      > Mel

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/