2908Re: [ksurfschool] Re: To chicken loop or not?

  • Pauric
    Mar 12, 2002
      I've seen some 2001 airblast main loops with a flexible plastic pipe. The pipe extends past the loop by an inch or so and fits *in* to the speader hook after the loop goes on. This stops the loop droping off and is relatively easy to remove under normal conditions

      What are people's experience of this, how hard is to to release under pressure?

      thanks

      To: ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com
      cc:
      Subject: Re: [ksurfschool] Re: To chicken loop or not?

      Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:

      > I think Mel start to see the "light"...
      > It's the LOOP that is dangerous and should be banned unless
      > they shipped
      > a snap shackle loop as the standard device.

      Actually Hung, I "saw the light" a couple of years ago after about the third
      time I used a 4-line sled, & have been an anti-loop snapshackle advocate
      ever since.

      AND airdoodle <matthew.hockin@...> wrote:

      > Any suggestions about waiting for the prolimit v.s. buying a snap
      > shackle today?

      1) Don't risk your life for the next few weeks (I just heard it will be
      mid-to-late April before they're here), just in case they end up working
      better (making you feel like you "wasted" $60, just to save a trip to the
      emergency room).

      2) An advantage to the snapshackle is that it keeps you hooked in when a
      loop may fall off a hook (releasable or otherwise) when you don't want it
      to. Advantages of the ProLimit include the ability to unhook from a trim
      loop when you DO want to, as well as the ability to release from a main
      harness line.

      On the snapshackle itself, www.westmarine.com # 214700 is a Wichard "trigger
      release" that's less expensive than the Tylaska T-8, but I still prefer #
      583940 (Wichard 2673). Both require roughly equally easy modifications for
      kiteboarding use, but the 2673 releases just as reliably (tip pivot) at
      about 2/3 the price, & can be set up so pulling a "grab-ball" in ANY
      direction releases it. There are photos in my group file folder.