2854Re: Relaunching a 17.5 ARX - made easy

  • coryadams
    Feb 28 7:10 PM
      Kenny,

      I have tried that but had a really rough time. After I pull a good
      deal of line in I have gotten tangled in the line as it goes under me.
      I'm a doof but even then it took a long time to get the kite to flip
      over on it's back. I must have pulled several yards of line in to
      finally get it to happen. I must be doing something wrong....

      Thanks,

      Cory

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "fernmanus" <fernmanus@y...> wrote:
      > Cory,
      >
      > I just ordered a steering bridle because I heard that it increases
      > the responsiveness of the kite. However, if you are only concerned
      > about relaunching, you can relaunch a 17.5 without the power steering
      > bridle. I posted this message last summer, but there may be people
      > out there that are unfamiliar with this method.
      >
      > First, if the kite is resting on the leading edge, you need to get it
      > to flip over by pulling in a yard or more of the center leader and
      > then releasing while laying on your stomach and gliding forward in
      > the "superman" position. When the kite has flipped over it will
      > start moving forward to the side of the window like the smaller kites.
      >
      > The 17.5 ARX is difficult to relaunch because the top edge often will
      > not come up off the water when the kite is in the "corkscrew"
      > position. I found that by pulling in a yard of the lower leader with
      > one hand and using the other hand to pull on the upper end of the
      > bar, the kite will quickly form the "C" shape and launch into the
      > air. The only warning that I have is that the kite will often launch
      > downwind and give you quite a drag and it is a little awkward the
      > first couple times you try it. The great thing about this method is
      > that I can usually relaunch the 17.5 in less than a minute. I
      > haven't tried this method on the larger Naish kites, but I can tell
      > you that this method works very well with the 15.5 and 17.5.
      >
      > Kenny
      >

      > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "coryadams" <coryadams@y...> wrote:
      > > Could somebody please provide some information regarding the
      > Powersteering Bridle.
      > >
      > > The Naish site has little or no information about it.
      > >
      > > I'm wondering how it works and would also like to know if anybody
      > has been able to use it with some of the big ARX kites. If you have
      > used it did it make relaunching a possibility - how about general
      > handling of the kite.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Cory
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic