235Re: [ksurfschool] Using C-Quad:

  • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com
    Jun 11, 2000
      I agree that the C-Quad offers good value. I am sure that Peter Lynn is
      working on a great water relaunchable kite. In the meantime, there is a ram
      air kite that I would recommend even for beginners. The Concept Air New Wave
      is an excellent water relaunchable kite. It is not cheap, but less expensive
      than the Wipika or Naish Kites. It is a much more stable flyer and offers
      good power control. It has 3 lines, 2 for steering and the center is a brake
      line. The kite is much easier to relaunch than a Naish or Wipika. If it
      falls to the water, all I have to do is either puff up the kite by rowing on
      the lines or if it comes down on its nose I just pull the brake line and it
      reverses back up into the air. It makes me feel like a magician after
      hassling with my Naish kites. I can steer the kite into the power zone and
      just park it and ride. There are a couple downsides to the New Wave. One is
      that it cannot sit on the water for more than 10 minutes or so. So, if you
      experience a long lull or get your lines seriously twisted, you may need to
      swim for shore because the kite will begin to take on water. However, it is
      easy to drain and deflate the kite because it has Velcro closures to let out
      water and air. 2. You have more tiny bridle lines that can become tangled.
      I keep my flying lines permanently attached to the kites bridles lines to
      prevent the bridle lines from getting all twisted together.

      I have a 9.3 CA New Wave. Yesterday, I took it to a local lake (Jordanelle
      Reservoir) and I was able to get up and plane in 7-8 mph winds on my Naish 7'
      6" board. It was incredible to be surfing in such light winds. There was no
      chop on the water and the wind was barely noticeable.