2040Re: Kitesurfing danger in strong wind!

  • fernmanus@yahoo.com
    Sep 28, 2001
      Shorter lines are a good idea, but not always feasible especially
      with very large kites in light winds. Some of the large kites (Naish
      17.5 ARX or larger) are nearly impossible to relaunch on anything
      less than 30 meter lines. It doesn't take much of a gust to launch
      you when you are flying a huge kite like a 16.4. I have had jumps
      extended well over 200 feet in length due to a gust.

      I do agree with you. If the wind is strong and unstable. It is a
      better idea to go out with a larger kite and short lines. The point
      I am trying to make is that it is a good idea to always go out well
      prepared and use good common sense. Wear a helmet and an impact
      vest. The impact vest has saved me from serious pain on a couple
      poorly timed jumps. The other good advice is not to time a jump to
      coincide with a gust if you are near shore. Once you are up in the
      air, a gust can pick you up and carry you a long ways. I have had it
      happen numerous times. This is great when you are away from shore,
      but potentially lethal near shore.