1959Re: Learning

  • fernmanus@yahoo.com
    Sep 7, 2001
      Scott,

      In your original e-mail you stated that you will be flying in 5 - 15
      mph winds and you weigh 200 LBS. A 630 ARC is not going to generate
      enough power for you to do a whole lot, even in 15 mph winds. You
      could fly one on the beach and body drag a bit, but you won't be able
      to get up and kite surf unless the wind is stronger. The 630 should
      work great for you in the winter. In your original message you
      stated that you aren't ready to surf yet, so a 630 should be fine for
      you, but plan on getting a bigger kite like the 1120 for actual kite
      surfing.

      One thing you need to be aware of, an ARC will stall in light winds.
      You may need to pull in the center leader or steer the kite
      agressively to keep it from stalling in light winds.

      Kenny

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Scott" <slarmee@4...> wrote:
      > --- Thanks Hung, as far as foils go, what would you recommend for
      my
      > weight, experience and average winds? I can actually get a 630 Arc
      > for about $475, a good price, but i'd need better overall wind at
      my
      > weight. (Looking to keep costs below 700 bux, after all
      accessories,
      > no board of course yet!)
      >
      > Thanks again!
      >

      > In ksurfschool@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
      > > Scott,
      > >
      > > I have tried a number of different C-Quads for kitesurfing and I
      > find
      > > that they are somewhat very difficult to kitesurf with. The main
      > issue
      > > with C-Quad is that it does not generate constant power needed for
      > > kitesurfing. You need to be an excellent kite flyer (such as Kane
      > > Hartill or Mark Frasier) to harness the power of the C-Quad for
      > > kitesurfing. I tried the C-Quad 4.2, 6.3 and 10.5 and still need
      > > work on my flying skill for kitesurfing with the C-Quad.
      > >
      > > However, C-Quad are excellent for kiteskiing where constant power
      > is not
      > > a requirement.
      > >
      > > Foils are less expensive than Arc or inflatable, you may want to
      > > consider them.
      > >
      > > P.S., Mark, if you are still reading this list then go ahead and
      > flame
      > > me :-)
      > >
      > > Hung.
      > >
      > > Scott wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Have been learning on stunt and small (3M) foils, all 2 line of
      > > > course and am ready for the next step. I am 200lbs. and have no
      > > > board yet. My area, CT shoreline gets usual range of 5-15 MPH
      > > > winds. I have a roommate who got me into this b/c of his 840
      Arc.
      > > > He is 10 lbs. lighter than I and can surf well with it. So,
      > while I
      > > > am not ready for surfing just yet, I want to skid, jump, drag in
      > > > water, ice skate later on... etc etc. And then surf in the
      spring
      > > > I'm thinking. So I don't think i want an inflat. too
      expensive,
      > I'd
      > > > love an Arc but the 1120, which I think I need is pricey too.
      I'm
      > > > thinking about a C-Quad. Any help/recommendations would be
      > greatly
      > > > appreciated!
      > > >
      > > > Thanks!
      > > >
      > > > Scott