1774Cabarete was great!!

  • eric_george@yahoo.com
    Aug 1, 2001
      Hung,

      I just came back from Cabarete and it could not have been better!!

      The key is to go to the kitesurfing beach which is a 2 minute moped
      ride from the main bay. That is where the kitesurfing schools
      operate. The beach there was vast, with lots of downwind potential.

      I was there fot 10 days, and it blew consistently everyday. This was
      in July. I cannot attest to the other months, but June and July are
      great.

      Even the pros from Mauii were impressed.

      > This is a very interesting question. Let me try to define the
      criteria
      > for the best place for kitesurfing (in order of importance)
      >
      > 1- Consistent constant wind (within the range of 10 - 40 knots) year
      > round (you should be able to kitesurf 7 out of 7 days you go
      there). If
      > the wind is too strong, you can kitesurf in the lighter wind period
      of
      > the day (normally in the morning at most places) or use a smaller
      kite
      > and/or shorter lines.
      > 2- Lots of empty beach space (Carabette is terrible as there
      are "tons"
      > of people on the beach)
      > 3- Lots of down wind space (Cabarette is terrible as the windsurfers
      > reserve all the bay and the kitesurfers have only 100 m of down wind
      > space)
      > 4- WARM water
      > 5- Water quality
      > 6- Good food, drink (this item may be controversial ;-)
      > 7- Wave (I don't think it's that important and has never really
      enjoyed
      > kitesurfing in wave as much as windsurfing in wave)
      >
      > Etc.,
      >
      > Hung.
      >
      > notalreadyinusebysomeoneelse@y... wrote:
      > >
      > > It sounds like there are quite a few good places to kitesurf in SE
      > > Asia. I heard that there are several good places in Indonesia,
      too.
      > > But being a total beginner with no prior experience in windsurfing
      > > either, I can't tell what constitutes a good place to kite and
      what
      > > doesn't (I'm only starting to learn how the winds work with
      different
      > > kites). I guess I can't just show up at some remote stretch of
      beach
      > > with wind and try to kitesurf?
      > >
      > > By the way, does anyone know anything about kitesurfing in
      > > Singapore?
      > >
      > > Stephie
      > >
      > > --- In ksurfschool@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
      > > > From http://www.surfasia.com/vietnam/index.html it sounds like
      Phan
      > > > Thiet is one of the best place to kitesurf ("From November to
      May,
      > > the
      > > > wind blows from N-NE often 25 knots, sometimes up to 40. The
      rest
      > > of the
      > > > year is S-SW 15 knots sometimes 25"). N-NE and S-SW are side-
      shore
      > > winds
      > > > at Phan Thiet.
      > > >
      > > > As far as I can remember when I was a kid, Phan Thiet has the
      best
      > > > warm-water, wide, long, empty beach in the world (as you can
      see in
      > > some
      > > > of the pictures)
      > > >
      > > > I am thinking of forgetting about my career, kiteskiing and go
      > > there to
      > > > start a kitesurfing club/school! Will you guys come?
      > > >
      > > > Hung.
      > >

      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic