1666Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Foils and gusty wind NOT A myth!

  • Mel
    Jul 6 2:16 PM
      Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:

      > It's true that if you have the lulls less than 5 knots for a few
      > minutes, most foils would absorb so much water and won't relaunch. If
      > you go out in such light wind and want the ability to relaunch more
      > reliable, foils with inflatable cells such as the Mosquito and the Jojo
      > Wet is better.

      I know it doesn't really come under the "foil" classification we're
      discussing, but I had an ARC on the water for quite a while (a few minutes)
      & it relaunched easily in a 5 knot puff.

      Speaking of ARCs, stacking them for light wind performance seems to be
      getting increasingly popular. I had to have it explained to me like this
      before I finally understood the maneuverability issue: You're steering the
      little kite on the bottom. IT pulls the bigger, upper kite with it, from
      RIGHT THERE (faster response, due to 7m lines). Overall what happens is it
      steers quicker than the big kite by itself !!