1653Re: [ksurfschool] Foils and gusty wind myth!

    Jul 2, 2001
      Being a landlocked sailor, I have windsurf/kitesurf at most popular
      places on earth (Canada, US, Europe, Caribbean, Mexico, Venezuela,
      Hawaii, Australia, etc.) I can say that Maui is on my prefer list of
      non-gusty wind location (strong but not gusty - I am talking about the
      North shore).

      Of all the places, home is where I find the most gusty condition when
      the wind blows over the tree and building before it gets to the lake
      (our side-slightly-off-shore condition).

      Wind range is the range of the wind speed from the beginning to the end
      of the session. Gust is the range of the wind in any 30 seconds
      period. In a day at home (yesterday in fact!), we may have a wind range
      of 5 - 45 knots and a gust of 50% - 100% increase in wind speed in any
      30 seconds period. What this means is a kite with larger wind range
      allow us to have a longer session and a kite with shorter wind range a
      shorter session.

      Only the inflatable can currently handle double wind speed wind range or
      100% increase in wind speed (e.g., 10 - 20 knots or 12 to 25 knots for
      me with my AR5 5.5). Normal foil probably 50% (10 - 15 knots) and new
      generation of foils such as the New Wave 75% (10 - 17.5 knots). If you
      add this range with proper edging skill, you can easily handle most
      gusts in the world with the inflatables or the newer generation of
      foils.

      The only advantage of inflatables over foils currently is wind-range,
      all the others are myths...*

      These myths are very similar to the Wipika Classic myth in the early
      day: "You can't go up wind with a Wipika Classic ..."

      Of course foils have other advantages over inflatables; however, they
      are the topics of another discussion...

      * I am not discussing about the intrinsic differences between foils and
      inflatables (drift-launching, pumping, kite maintenance, etc.)

      Hung.