      From: Hung Vu [mailto:hungvu@...]
      Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2001 7:37 AM
      To: cankitesurf@egroups.com; kitesurf@egroups.com;
      ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ksurfschool] Foils and gusty wind myth!

      I always believed that foils are useless in gusty wind.

      I took my New Wave 4.9 m2 out yesterday in probably the most gusty wind
      we have around here (inland lake, roughly 2 x 6 km). I only had the 11.5
      and the New Wave 4.9 with me because the wind was lighter when I left
      home; otherwise, I would be afraid of the gusty wind and use the AR5 5.5
      instead.

      The New Wave 4.9 was doing OK, just as the AR5 would in this gusty
      condition.

      It could be the technique too as I normally don't use the "chicken loop"
      and rely more on board edging and the strap to adjust the power of the
      kite.

      Not bad for a used foil I bought last winter for roughly $250 USD!