1228Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Learning to kitesurf

    Mar 5, 2001
      > Troy Bezanson wrote:
      > There's no one around, but I'm determined enough that I'm going to try
      > it.
      > I weigh just under 200lbs, and our wind around here is usually
      > 15-20km/h gusting to 30-40 km/h
      > I think the bigger the kite the better. I'd prefer to learn in
      > lighter winds as it would be less likely to get into an
      > overpowered situation.
      > Any suggestions on kite size would be helpful.

      There was some posts recently about kite size and rider weight, please
      go to the archive at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ksurfschool/message/1136 (and read all the
      follow-up posts)

      Just remember that kite size is "approximately" proportional to rider
      weight (such that you can figure out the right kite size for you in the
      same wind as another rider)

      > One of the nice things about living in Nova Scotia is that I live on a
      > penninsula, and if the wind isn't good on the atlantic side, I can go
      > to the other side where the wind is often quite different. I hadn't
      > thought about areas that are covered by only 2-3 feet of water.
      > I know of 2 other spots that you can wade out into the water quite a
      > ways where it is only up to your hips and where there are sand bars.
      > This would be ideal for leaning. I guess there is no reason why you'd
      > have to be in deep water to kite surf.

      Shallow water is actually easier to learn on (as you can walk upwind
      without having to go to shore and pack up). Just don't jump in shallow
      water and watch out for rocks or sandbars.

      P.S. I met Brian from Prince Edward Island a few years ago and he did
      try body surfing with my Wipika 5.0. He ran some kayaking excursion
      shop in PEI. He is probably a kitesurfer now. You may want to check
      him out.

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic